Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

What about a Rat Terrier? They come in 4 sizes and just about any color you can think of. They have short, easy to care for coats. They are usually not as "terrier" as other terrier breeds and tend to be quick learners. They are fun little dogs, very charming.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I was going to say check Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder . ONe thing you have to realize is a lot of what you want will only come with training.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Im stumped its confusing like yesterday I wanted a papillon because they are small, active,love to learn. Today I went riding guess what was there two lovely Austrailan Shepherds I love love love this breed I have met many all happy, Outgoing I just love them is there a chance that they will fit my lifestyle could I take them to herd my Grandpa's cows a couple times a week?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Aussies are fantastic dogs, this is true. I'm also compltely biased.

HOWEVER--Twice a year they shed like it's going out style and have a little bit going on the rest of the time. If you don't like having to pick hair out of your food every so often, or like your carpets to stay the same shade without having to vaccum every day, don't get an Aussie.

If you can't dedicate at least 2 hours a day to training and exercise, don't get an Aussie. These dogs are active and smart as a whip and have no issue rearranging your house if they're bored. They are also very vocal dogs and aren't afraid to use their voices. You can teach them not to bark at everything and to stop when you ask them to, but just keep in mind that you cannot stop an Aussie from barking during playing. It's just how they are. Aussie get togethers are some of the loudest around.

They are the puppies from hell and it lasts on up until about 2 years of age.

Because they are herders, the first instinct will be to nip at your horses heels, not run beside them. Obviously with training they can learn what not to do, but just be warned.

Herding is something that takes much practice between you and the dog and sending an untrained dog on to cattle that aren't dog-broke is basically asking for your dog to get kicked or trampled. They have instinct, but it needs guidance.

Aussie Rescue
would be a wonderful place to look for a dog around 3 years of age though. I got Sawyer through them when he was 18 months old and he's been the best dog ever. They are a fantastic rescue group and will help you figure out if Aussies are really right for you.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Puppy Dog

so They might not fit my lifestyle
Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thats_how_I_roll View Post
so They might not fit my lifestyle
They may, it'll just take some work to get them there.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
They may, it'll just take some work to get them there.
Which, to be fair, any dog will.

There is not a single dog in the world that you can pick up who will already know every command and how to act in every situation you encounter in your daily life.

I applaud you asking for suggestions and doing your research, but your best bet imo is going to be going to an all-breed rescue, giving them the personality traits you're looking for (energy level, good with other animals) and physical restrictions (size, coat) and letting them find you a close match based on the individual dogs.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Puppy Dog

So for example if I go to the Shelter and find a Austrailan shepherd at the shelter and its what I would like it to be I could manage it because each dog has a different personality. Ok I think I got it know.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Twin 2.0

I would really suggest going through Aussie Rescue. They can give you a good idea of whether or not that dog is going to be good around stock/horses and the like.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Puppy Dog

back again I have found a couple new breeds I am interested in Shelties! I would like to know more about them shedding,exercise, are they yappy?