Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

How about a dobe they are ok with starnagers but they are very very good gaurd dogs!!
I dont really like people who use dogs for gurding houses ect...
But as what you say is someomne threatening you then yes i would say a rottie or a dobe or even a Great Danes!!there the best i think coz they look scary but there not and i dont think people will ever try attcking you with a big dog like that!!
Anyway good luck!!
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 01-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Island dweller

I'd love to have a great dane. I think some customers might find them intimidating though. I know people find my newfie intimidating and he's really a ball of fur and tail, not much more.

I don't like people using a dog just for guarding either. Is it going to sleep in the store? What if the criminal is casing the place and figures out when your dog has to pee? LOL

Are you going to buy from a reputable breeder and advertise that? I think your dog is in the pound too. Mine were.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Why do you need a guard dog in the store?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:35 PM
stirder

one problem. no matter what the breed...99% of dogs (even a rottie, dobie, gsd, etc) will not do any more than bark and growl unless trained in protection. with a good club, the purpose is not to make a dog aggressive, but to teach it to be confident and how to follow through with a bite, and where to bite, and to be under the owners COMPLETE control at all times. however this takes a LOT of time and training. personally I would suggest a big dog that appears threatening and barks. first though, if your main purpose in getting a dog is for protection...get an alarms system and learn how to dial 911. a dog is a family member and a life long comitment (up to 20 years), and is not just a tool or weapon. I have a highly trained and highly titled german shepherd, if someone was attacking I would be protecting my dog. if you expect a dog to put its life on the line to protect your, dont get a dog. as I said, 99% of dogs wont follow through, and neither should they be expected too. we are responsible for their lives, we feed them, shelter them, love them, provide health care in return for their unconditional love.