Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Has anyone dealt with pancreatitis lately?

Sola has been hit with a case of pancreatitis.

We have been through a plethora of scares over the years. This is a new one for us. I have heard from a number of sources that the usual suspect is a high fat diet or large feeding of high fat foods - especially human food.

Yet we feed California Natural, and healthy treat bars. The dogs don't eat any junk, or table scraps. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and if so, did you make any dietary changes that helped in the long term? We're hoping to spare her another bout of this.

Thanks in advance...

Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Do you start topics just so you can post links to your blog?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
FluffyZooCrew

I have no experience with pancreatitis, sorry to hear your dog is going thru this.

But I must say, I was actually about to post the same thing at CP -- every thread you start, all just happen to be links to your blog...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Puppy Dog

I was hoping someone might actually have had some experience with this...
Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

My dog doesn't have pancreatitis, but he has some other problems that are covered in articles about that. Maybe something in these could help.

Canine Pancreatitis
The District of Columbia Academy of Veterinary Medicine

Good luck in pinpointing just what is causing attacks. GI problems can be so challenging and you are right that they are painful.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigDog View Post
My dog doesn't have pancreatitis, but he has some other problems that are covered in articles about that. Maybe something in these could help.

Canine Pancreatitis
The District of Columbia Academy of Veterinary Medicine

Good luck in pinpointing just what is causing attacks. GI problems can be so challenging and you are right that they are painful.

This was incredibly helpful -and contained some info I have not found elsewhere. Thank you so much!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I almost lost Mary the first time she had an attack. WE were sent from our clinic to another clinic and i thought she was dying in front of me. THe vet took ahold of my arm ( i was a dripping tears and having a melt down) and said "nonono this is fixable!" 24 hours of iv and follow up meds and she was as right as rain. My grandaughter had fed her half a loaf of english muffin bread and that was what triggered it. I was told it is very common in old dogs. I have found that any variation in her diet is not a good thing. She does not get scraps anymore, even half a marshmallow (we toasted them for her in her younger days) set her off. IF i see she is drinking water like it's running out of style i pull it and give her nothing for a day. THat usually calms things back down. I keep antispasmatic pills and an antibiotic on hand so if it starts i can treat her quickly. WE have had some minor attacks since but nothing like that first one. IT must be incredibly painful, the burning stomach from hell.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Puppy Dog

Wow you have been through it. I almost got the impression from your post that drinking too much water can trigger an attack. Is that your understanding?

By the way, Sola bounced back yesterday. Finally!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
Wow you have been through it. I almost got the impression from your post that drinking too much water can trigger an attack. Is that your understanding?
No, too much water isn't going to trigger an attack. When the dog is guzzling down huge amounts of water, it's a possible symptom. In a pancreatitis attack, all food and water should be withheld ~ if needed, fluids and nutrients are given subQ. Anything ingested, including water, will worsen a pancratic attack as it causes the digestive system to respond.

And yes, I have dealt with pancreatitis also. When Morgan went to the vet, the vet walked into the exam room and stopped in the doorway and almost started to cry. The vet kept her for the day, monitored her, gave her IV meds, then sent her home with me for the night. They didn't expect her to survive through the night.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Puppy Dog

Goodness, I feel for both of you. We have had a much easier go of it by comparison. Our vet told us we caught it very early - Sola is high energy, but was lethargic and depressed, so we went to the vet and happened upon the problem.
Thanks for sharing this, I understand that we now have to watch her a little more closely than we used to.