Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Active Pup

Default Will a puppy love you more than an adult dog?

Is the advantage of getting a puppy because it bonds more closely to its owner and is a more loving pet than perhaps a 1-2 yr old dog?

or

is the advantage more in being able to watch the dog grow and to be able to train it the way the owner wants?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 PM
woop

You can do all of that with an adult dog (er.. except the growing part).

My puppy had zero interest in me. We didn't start to bond until he was nearly 1 year old already.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Twin 2.0

All of my dogs have been over a year old when I've gotten them and I don't think my Aussie could be anymore bonded to me.

I think the main advantage in a puppy is knowing the background. I've had to guess on the first year and some with my dogs and work from there, but you typically have a decent idea of where a pup came from. Doesn't mean there won't be surprises though.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Wookie Collie

The age you get a dog has nothing to do with bonding, IMO. I know people who have had their dog since eight weeks and never have the bond that some folks with a rescue adopted at the age of seven have with their dog.

It depends on many factors. I don't think you can predict the level of bond you'll have with a dog. Just give it the best you can, spend lots of time with them and it just... happens!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Top Dog

To me the only benefit of a puppy (if we are talking about shelter dogs) is that you can make sure he gets all his socialization. BUT if you get an adult you can tell what the affects of his socialization are, so if he is not noise shy, human or dog aggressive you can be confident that no matter what socialization he got he's pretty well off.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
is the advantage more in being able to watch the dog grow and to be able to train it the way the owner wants?
For me it's the training aspect. But it's really only an issue because I train for various competition venues and I want the imprinting. I could get an adult that had been started with training, that had the right imprinting and socializing, but I'd pay much more money for it.

For most people, they do fine getting an adult. The benefit of getting an adult is that you have a better idea of the dog's temperament, personality, size (especially if it's a mix), etc.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Just try me..

In some cases rescuing a dog can help a bond be stronger. The dog knows that there are other options than a loving family.

This dog (Sport) was rescued. We got him at a year. He had belonged to a family who really didn't like him. (he was left in a crate while the family went away for a weekend vacation with no one to come let him out)

Look at him now. He LIVES for my son.

There is no way that dog could love the child any more. We had a pup we got from a breeder. My son tried to work with her. He went to lessons with her. He loved her.. but they just didn't bond.

It has nothing to do with when you get your dog. It has more to do with how well your dog fits into your family. And in many cases its easier to know how well a dog will fit if he's a bit older.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Big Dog

Dekka...those pictures made me all misty eyed! What a beautiful pair!!
Thank you for sharing those.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
RedyreRottweilers

The dog I have had who was THE most attached to me I acquired when she was 5 years of age, and I had never seen her until she came to live with me.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Active Pup

Thanks so much for this information!