Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Yum...

Default I won a Hermit Crab! (He/she needs a name!)

lol, I won it at the fair. Any name ideas for it? Green shell, and I think its a girl, but I'm not sure, lets keep the name a neutral one, but a cool one. We have yet to get its little habitat, and food. Whisper wanted to eat it, and the cats wanted to play with it. lol Silly animals. I've been calling it Fred/Herby/Anubis. I'll get some pictures of it, it's in pretty good shape. Hermit Crabs are easy upkeep if you ask me. This little guy/girl is a small Hermit. Thanks in advanced!

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Why not Hermit ?? Poor thing !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Resident fainting goat

How about herby? it can go both ways

and here are some hermit crab care tidbits.. with those painted shells, tiny enclosures and no other crabs to talk to, they often die pretty early

Hermit crabs are very sociable creatures and need to be in groups of two or more crabs of roughly the same size at all times. In the wild, these animals have been in colonies of 100 or more, socialization is very important to their well-being. Hermit crabs have a relatively long life span, in captivity they have lived upwards of 30 years. The average lifespan of a land hermit crab in captivity unfortunately is normally much less than that because of improper care or lack of socialization with other crabs They can also grow quit large as they never really stop growing, it can be hard to find new shells for a large hermit crab to move into. Hermit crabs come from the wild and do not breed in captivity; some of them do not lose this wild nature and prefer to stay hidden at all times. Hermit crabs are nocturnal

A good size for a beginning crabber is a 10-gallon aquarium with a solid plastic top, or at least a plastic top over a screen top.

The best bedding for this is play sand, which is at almost any home improvement store

It is recommended to stay away from painted and decorated shells as these can cause sickness in the crabs.

. One thing to consider when picking out decorations for hermit crabs is they like to climb; they are called tree land hermit crabs for a reason

Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Interesting stuff Fran, I never would have guessed they could live for 30 years. Or that they were that social..
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Salty Sea Dog

they also need a heat source in northern states, here in ct many actually feeze to death mid summer because their chilled.

unfortunatly they have become a popular "kids" pet around here being sold in those tiny little kritter keeper cages with aquarium gravel for bedding and being given this little tub of "hermit crab food" and thats about it.

while "RELITLVY" easy to care for compared to other exotics, there not as easy as they may at first seem.

How about Hermies?

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Kermit the Hermit ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Show Dog

Hermit crabs are pretty neat -- how about Seaweed
Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

What was the crab in little mermaid...call him that...sebastian was it? Or was he a lobster? idunno...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Puppy Dog

x2 on hermit
Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Yum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
they also need a heat source in northern states, here in ct many actually feeze to death mid summer because their chilled.

unfortunatly they have become a popular "kids" pet around here being sold in those tiny little kritter keeper cages with aquarium gravel for bedding and being given this little tub of "hermit crab food" and thats about it.

while "RELITLVY" easy to care for compared to other exotics, there not as easy as they may at first seem.

How about Hermies?
Ya, I've had one before, but not in years. He died within a few months. Poor thing. But, they are easier than some animals to take care of.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog