Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Default Is This Camera Any Good?

I'm litterally drooling right now, please forgive the slobber.

Kodak Z980

Kodak Z980 12MP, 24X Zoom, Wide Angle Camera w/Smart Capture - QVC.com

I want a D40, but on QVC they're almost $700. And I'm probably getting a camera off QVC cause I have a charge account and can pay monthly payments.

Is that Kodak any good?

I currently have a Fuji S6000, and I want to upgrade to something better. 12MP's sound awesome. I'm looking for something that does good portraits, works very well in sports mode, and does good indoor shots as well.

Last edited by FluffyZooCrew; 05-17-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Just try me..

No idea.. but I like that it has a view finder so you aren't relying on the display screen.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Actually, when I got to the end of the line of camera's, I did find a cheaper D40 on QVC:

Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-5mm Lens - QVC.com

$519.

But now my question is, as awesome as the pics on the D40's look, it's only 6MP's. My S6000 is 5MP's.

But that Kodak is 12MP's, and cheaper. But I wonder if the shots are any better/clearer, ect. Wondering if there's a reason it's so much cheaper, other than the fact that it's not a higher name brand like Nikon and Canon.

Last edited by FluffyZooCrew; 05-17-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

It's different. It's not a DSLR, meaning you won't have the option to purchase different lenses for different types of images. Depends what your goals are. It looks like it'd be a nice P&S with some fancy extras. I can't find any decent reviews online...seems to be too new.

Can you go to a best buy or something and play around with it?

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
But now my question is, as awesome as the pics on the D40's look, it's only 6MP's. My S5000 is 5MP's.
Mega pixels don't mean diddly squat. Seriously. Unless you plan on blowing up pictures to poster sized prints, or taking a picture and zooming in a bazillion times and cropping it, 6 mp is plenty.

My best friend has a D90. When we play with it, we put it on the 6mp setting anyway (it's capable of 12mp). (He knows more than I do, so I can't tell you why...but apparently it makes better pictures)

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 05-17-2009, 06:52 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I prob. could go to Best Buy, if they have the camera there. Might do that tomorrow.

I was looking at spec and reviews on it on photography websites, and comparing it to the camera I have now, and it looks like da bomb, at least compared to my current camera.

I'm not looking to add any extra lenses. Just looking for something with exceptional photo quality, that takes good moving photo's in sports mode, and has good adjustable lighting settings for taking indoors shots. So far, from what I've read, this one seems to do all that and more. Not bad for the price.

Really, my goal is something that'll take great pics, and do better than the camera I have now, without breaking the bank. And I say that, because I don't want to spend a fortune at the moment, because my ultimate camera is a Canon Rebel XSi. But those are upwards of about $1,000, totally out of my budget at the moment.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Just try me..

Why not buy a good camera used?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Oops, edited the posts above. Meant to say I have a Fuji S6000, for S5000.

And Dekka, cause I'd really rather charge the camera and pay cheap monthly payments, than to shell out a larger lump sum. At least right now.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Why not buy a good camera used?

I'm with you Dekka! FZC, since you like making smaller payments, I'm pretty sure there is an option on ebay that allows you to do so. There are some pretty good deals. Ive been looking a lot since I read the other thread about cameras.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Water Junkie

Dunno why, but I've never been a fan of Kodak or Fuji. It may just be because I've never seen any decent pictures taken with one.

I had -before my DSLR- an Olympus SP550UZ. It's a big, fancy P&S camera. But it's got alot of nice features and takes good action shots.

Here are a couple shots that I took with it.

I sold it to a friend for $100. LOL

Flickr: Camera Finder: Olympus: SP550 Ultra Zoom

The only place I could find it was on Amazon. Really, though, I couldn't find much on QVC.

Amazon.com: Olympus SP-550UZ 7.1MP Digital Camera with Dual Image Stabilized 18x Optical Zoom: Electronics

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l