Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
They usually have these characteristics. If there are modifiers that mask the white, you can have broken collars, and very little white on the tail and feet, yet by parentage (a white sire for instance) you know the dog is white factored, although you can't tell by looking at him/her.
You are completely right. I thought I was careful with my usuallys and generallys and aparently I forgot a few. WF collies can have hidden WF. The break in the collar is usually very thin... the only good way to tell is the back legs and feet. Most non white factors have very little white on the hind legs and feet.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by currywoodcollies View Post
You are completely right. I thought I was careful with my usuallys and generallys and aparently I forgot a few. WF collies can have hidden WF. The break in the collar is usually very thin... the only good way to tell is the back legs and feet. Most non white factors have very little white on the hind legs and feet.
You never know who looks back at these a year from now ... We had a litter of all WF pups (had to be, sire was a white) a few years back and several had broken collars and hardly any white on the legs or belly.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

I have seen this dog and his owner twice since I first posted - both times in the same pet store. Unfortunately, I don't own a cell phone, so I can't get a picture - also, the gentleman who owns this dog is not very talkative. This is the most unique and beuatiful Collie I have ever seen though.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi's Mom View Post
I have seen this dog and his owner twice since I first posted - both times in the same pet store. Unfortunately, I don't own a cell phone, so I can't get a picture - also, the gentleman who owns this dog is not very talkative. This is the most unique and beuatiful Collie I have ever seen though.
We will just all have to imagine her until you catch them when you've got a camera on you!

~Smooth Collies~

Old 09-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by currywoodcollies View Post

The first picture is of my tri and white factored mahogany sable female. The second is a puppy from her first litter...not a pup anymore He is a tri and white factored sable merle. In the second picture of him you can see the black at the base of his tail. The fourth pic is of a collie I owned 6 or 7 years ago. He is a sable collie. No factoring at all. The fifth pic is of another pup of Grace's. She is a tri and white factored sable. (not mahogany like her mother). The 6th picture is of all of Grace's puppies in her 1st litter bred by me. In that litter I had two WF TF sable merles, one WF TF sable, one WF blue merle, 1 WF tri, and 3 whites (2 with TF sable markings and 1 with TF sable merle markings). There are also 2 very tiny lab puppies in the mix. Grace had to play foster mom. The mother got ran over . The 7th picture is of the puppies' sire. He is a WF blue merle. The last 2 pics are of true dilute collies. Notice the pink nose and almost white eyes on the first one. He has sable merle markings. The only color is on one ear. The second has blue merle markings. I am not sure if this collie has eyes (I think so, but my eye site is not so good). Some dilutes are born without them (sign of what some breeders refer to as micropthalmia... which started from breeding for small eyes). Most show breeders say it does not exist and they generally use collies with mild Collie Eye Anomaly because their eyes are usually smaller.
In reference to collie eyes I was wondering. They look SOOOO different from when I was growing up w/them in the 70's....and I'm cringing inside thinking of a dog w/no eyes. Our dogs had comparatively big beautiful eyes than today's collies.
Did the move to smaller eyes clear up "collie eye" (something I heard as a child that collies have eye problems) or is it merely an aesthetic move in collie world?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q734 View Post
In reference to collie eyes I was wondering. They look SOOOO different from when I was growing up w/them in the 70's....and I'm cringing inside thinking of a dog w/no eyes. Our dogs had comparatively big beautiful eyes than today's collies.
Did the move to smaller eyes clear up "collie eye" (something I heard as a child that collies have eye problems) or is it merely an aesthetic move in collie world?

Sad to say, but 75-80% of US Collies are affected in some way by Collie Eye Anomaly ... so the eye size has nothing to do with it. Eye sizes are different depending upon bloodline and the region. In the 1970s, the West Coast dogs often had larger eyes (and bodies) than the Northeast dogs, and the dogs in the South were kind of a mixture of the two. The standard states a "medium" eye, but it's all interpretation of the breeder - what one thinks is medium another thinks is small and vice versa.

FWIW - The size of eye that my current dogs have is the same as the eye size of the dogs I had in the 1970s. However, my current dogs are also descended from the dogs I had in the 70s ...

~Smooth Collies~