Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie
Well, transfering that rationale to humans, I really need to get in touch with Mel Gibson.

Good grief, has your mom's friend never heard of the concept of instinct? Her Boxer's going to be "in love" a lot, doesn't mean they NEED to have puppies to be fulfilled in life.

Breeding a dog for the fun of it, or because they "need" to have a litter is SO not a good idea.

My dog had a passionate love affair going with one of my daughter's Beanie Babies before he was neutered. He still likes her as a friend, but the passion's gone out of the relationship.
That last part made me smile.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

who knew Meggie has a since of humor?! i laughed at that too

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.--Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Taco Dog

I wish people would think about it like this...

My mom did not "breed" with my dad so that she could have another just like her or just like my dad. I may sometimes resemble their attitudes or antics, but I am me. I am my own. I am unique from my brother and sister. They are not identical to our parents either. It doesn't work that way. That is a naive statement to say that the puppy would be "another Sophie." It doesn't work like that with people, nor does it work that way with dogs.

When I have a child, I do not expect it to be another me. It will be a little similar to my husband and I, but it's temperament will be it's own. m_rose, are you EXACTLY like your mother? EXACTLY like your father?? No, everyone and everything is different.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

lol, I love how you switched personality with temperament when you were talking about a child, lol
Old 08-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Taco Dog

LOL Richie, I know. I am so used to being around dogs, talking to dogs, etc. I noticed that after I typed it.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 09-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Active Pup

I do not think it is right to lump everyone into 1 of 3 catagories.

Puppy mills are the horrible ones. Bad living conditions. Dirty. Kept in cages 24/7. No exercise. No socialization. No heat or cooling. Overcrowding.

BYB. Now there are many ranges for BYB's. This is what is so upsetting. This catagory is large. People need to realize there are ones pretty close to puppy mills all the way to breeders close to being "responsible" breeders.

Responsible breeders. They show. Test. "Don't do it for money". They are often radical. Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollywood
I do not think it is right to lump everyone into 1 of 3 catagories.

Puppy mills are the horrible ones. Bad living conditions. Dirty. Kept in cages 24/7. No exercise. No socialization. No heat or cooling. Overcrowding.

BYB. Now there are many ranges for BYB's. This is what is so upsetting. This catagory is large. People need to realize there are ones pretty close to puppy mills all the way to breeders close to being "responsible" breeders.

Responsible breeders. They show. Test. "Don't do it for money". They are often radical. Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious.

No one in it for the money and who does not show the tests and readily is responsible. BYB are just as bad as puppymills, for filling the local shelters and the gas chambers. Close to a responsible breeder is not a responsible breeder and not GOOD ENOUGH.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Active Pup

I wrote: "Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious."

Your response is typical. I have in my contract that they cannot take the dog I sold them to rescue or shelter. It must be returned to me. Unconditionally. They sign their name to that. I keep in touch with those that buy from me. They send me pics. They are not in shelters.

BYB's vary no matter what you say. I don't care if thousands agree with you. I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

Just like you find any person that does not fit into the "responsible" breeder catagory bad, I find "responsible" breeders to be unlikeable. They are rude, self righteous, snobby, full of themselves, intolerant, unreasonable, so on and so on.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 AM
It wasn't me

Quote:
I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

Just like you find any person that does not fit into the "responsible" breeder catagory bad, I find "responsible" breeders to be unlikeable. They are rude, self righteous, snobby, full of themselves, intolerant, unreasonable, so on and so on.
Shouldn't responsible breeders be given the same slack you give to backyard breeders? Looked at individually, instead of summimg up all of them to be snobby extremists.

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 09-01-2005, 08:40 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
I wrote: "Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious."

Your response is typical. I have in my contract that they cannot take the dog I sold them to rescue or shelter. It must be returned to me. Unconditionally. They sign their name to that. I keep in touch with those that buy from me. They send me pics. They are not in shelters.

BYB's vary no matter what you say. I don't care if thousands agree with you. I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

B0y you sound just like someone else I know! Hm Wondering if you are.........