Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-22-2005, 01:16 PM
~3 Mutts~

IMO, a puppymill (I live down the road from one that breeds greyhounds ) is anyone who mass produces dogs for profit. The one I live near keeps their kennels very clean, but to see those puppies sitting there all alone, undersocialized, and to eventually be turned into a race dog (and later to be thrown away because he won't run "fast enough") makes me sick. They breed tons and tons of dogs, pumping them out ASAP, just to make money off them.

BYB's are a little different. I knew one personally, but didn't know enough about the subject to realize just what she was doing. She was a wonderful person, but she was breeding irresponsibly. Her stud dog, Fester, had a bad leg. Everyone was warned not to pick him up, because his leg was messed up. Now why would you breed a pug with a bad leg????? Her little female, Zoe, was seemingly healthy. They had great temperments, and I enjoyed going to her house and playing with them, but they were not breeding quality. She didn't show them, she didn't health test them (why bother? She already knew the male was unhealthy), and, as far as I know, her dogs were never seperated, so her female was bred at every heat. Her dogs were treated like pets, and she did make an effort to find good homes for her $800 dollar pups .

A good breeder IMO is someone who breeds for nothing but love for the breed, and to better it. I personally like breeders who compete with their dogs, to be sure the dog is a good example of it's breed. Their puppies are well socialized, their dogs well loved. The parents are always health tested, so as to avoid breeding puppies with inherited conditions such as Hip Dysplasia, heart defects, etc.

These are just my own opinions, BTW.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Default thank you everyone

I think I have a much better understanding now of what constitutes a byb and a puppy mill.

Thanks everyone for taking so much time to educate me
Old 08-22-2005, 07:34 PM
My pets love me they do

I used to breed Pekingnese and I was a stickler when it came to whom visited my home and adopted my babies. My babies all had the 1st visit to the vet, their health was my first concern. When you go visit homes of people who are putting pups or any animal up for sale, take a close look at how the dogs temperment is and how they act around people. Also take a close look at their living quarters and if they are clean. I actully bred my peks for a while and each person who wanted to adopt had to fill out a questionaire and have 3 visits to my home so I could watch the interaction with them and their children and my pups. I plan on breeding my siberian husky but will do this with a very watchful eye. I will interview studs closely and see how they act with me. It is very important that those who are responsible breeders make sure that the animals they are placing up for sale are up to par and have no health issues or any other problems.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Manchesters

Default But........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogsLoveMe
I used to breed Pekingnese and I was a stickler when it came to whom visited my home and adopted my babies. My babies all had the 1st visit to the vet, their health was my first concern. When you go visit homes of people who are putting pups or any animal up for sale, take a close look at how the dogs temperment is and how they act around people. Also take a close look at their living quarters and if they are clean. I actully bred my peks for a while and each person who wanted to adopt had to fill out a questionaire and have 3 visits to my home so I could watch the interaction with them and their children and my pups. I plan on breeding my siberian husky but will do this with a very watchful eye. I will interview studs closely and see how they act with me. It is very important that those who are responsible breeders make sure that the animals they are placing up for sale are up to par and have no health issues or any other problems.
Were your dogs health tested and certified before you bred them?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:34 AM
My pets love me they do

All my pups came with their vet papers and health records along with their shots etc. My mom and dad were all checked out before I bred. I think it is wrong and ignorant to sale any animal if you are not sure on their health. My pups were seen with their mom after 3 weeks and then again before they were sold. My females were only bred a total of 3 times during their lifetime. I had a kennel license and had 4 females and 3 males.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogsLoveMe
All my pups came with their vet papers and health records along with their shots etc. My mom and dad were all checked out before I bred. I think it is wrong and ignorant to sale any animal if you are not sure on their health. My pups were seen with their mom after 3 weeks and then again before they were sold. My females were only bred a total of 3 times during their lifetime. I had a kennel license and had 4 females and 3 males.
I think what Manchesters meant was the OFA, Penn Hip, patellas, eyes, cardio, thyroid certification done etc. Were the necessary tests done on the hereditary dissorders that are carried by pekes?

An exam or health check by a vet determines nothing (in most cases) when it comes to genetic dissorders that are breed specific. A vet may be able to locate a luxating patella or entropion by simply looking or feeling, but dogs really need to the have full health screens before they are bred. Too often people/breeders think that a vet exam is a health check/screen for breeding, it's not.

I did not write the above statement towards you, it's more a generalized statement etc. I don't doubt that you were very serious about your breeding practices and I am sure you will be in the future as well.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM

I have a friend..a FORMER friend now..that decided to get two GSDs..then a second female. I was stupid and thought she just loved dogs......but, no...she became a backyard breeder. And, it's easy for her..people come and buy them, so she is now addicted to the money. She doesn't have them vet checked...she lets the females breed consecutive heats (one only had 2 puppies live from this practice..not to mention she is weak) She then moved on to breed her little female chis...both over 9 years old......why...cause people just keep buying them and it's easy money for her. Now, you may wonder why nobody complains. It's because it isn't illegal.....she keeps them clean, feeds them well, they have a huge yard to roam in. See, it will never end until people really understand that buying from them is wrong. Wrong for them, wrong for the breed, wrong for the dogs involved. Only this greedy person thrives. It makes me sick. This person isn't home right now...off on a vacation...on puppy money. I wish I knew what could be done to stop backyard breeders. ALWAYS check who you are buying from....maybe someday, this sadness will end.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:13 PM
My pets love me they do

Show I understand now. Their eyes, heart (cardio), hips and nasal passages were checked out mainly due to the problems that peks have with their eyes and nose. Hips were checked out because birthing peks it alot more stressful than what some think.

I want to breed my Siberian Husky and will copy what you stated above because I dont want to ever be thought of as a BYB. Thanks for the advice

Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 PM

I'm sure you will be very responsible because you care enough to learn. I put BYBs in the very same catagory as puppy mills. To me...it's criminal. Thank goodness there are true, caring, dedicated breeders out there.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM
My pets love me they do

I dont blame anyone when it comes to puppymills and BYB as what they do isnt for the care of the animal but for the monetary value. Animals who are bred appropriatly for companionship is great but to do it for other reasons and not take care of the animals that they do have is down right WRONG!!!!!