Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Active Pup

Default Litter Questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and dogs as well I somewhat stumbled upon a litter of 7 pups and a mama on my ranch (vineyard) According to a few of my employees, the mama (follows our employees around the ranch all day) gave birth to them about 4 weeks ago. When I was informed (which wasn't until last week due to being on vacation out of the country prior), I immediately wanted to watch over them and take care of them until they could be given to deserving homes, and I was thinking about keeping one for myself Where they were at wasn't secure (they were in an unfenced yard on our property, under a grape bin) and I was worried about coyotes so I moved them into a pen I made in a fenced yard at our shop area and they've been there ever since. The mama knows where they are and still nurses and cares for them. I am feeding them twice a day with puppy chow that I let soak in milk for about 10 minutes to soften it up I am also feeding mama dry puppy chow twice a day and I check on them multiple times a day and make sure they have clean water and am cleaning out the pen I am, however starting to get worried, as I have fallen in love with the runt of the litter, a cute little girl I named Chevy The mama will find gophers and rats, and bring them to the pups. I've been able to remove 2 of them, but wasn't able to get one out of the pen today before the pups ate it I know these little buggers need to be with mama for at least another 3 weeks from today, but I don't want my little one eating gophers!! I'd also like to get her vaccinated. Am I doing things right? Anything I need to do in addition? Anything I need to change? So far, the other 6 are at least spoken for, as for people wanting them, but I've told them at least 3 more weeks until they can take them. HELP!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Just try me..

Actually gophers are likely much better for the pups than puppy chow!!!

Check out some of the threads in the Dog food area of Chaz. I personally feed my dogs raw meat. But be that as it may the ingredients in puppy chow are horrific!! I don't know if it would make a difference if you fed her and them better food (she might feel that she is missing nutrition). There are some very good kibbles out there... Purina does not make them.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Actually gophers are likely much better for the pups than puppy chow!!!

Check out some of the threads in the Dog food area of Chaz. I personally feed my dogs raw meat. But be that as it may the ingredients in puppy chow are horrific!! I don't know if it would make a difference if you fed her and them better food (she might feel that she is missing nutrition). There are some very good kibbles out there... Purina does not make them.
I will definitely check out the Dog Food area here I only bought a small to medium sized bag of the Puppy Chow....I guess the name association made me buy it. Like I said I'm a newbie to dogs I was worried about disease with the gophers, but I guess I'm worrying too much? Thanks for the response though!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

Really I'd worry more of good socialization at this point . I never had a Mom bring in wild food ! Regurgitation of her supper showed me that she was ready to wean . Good luck and keep us posted !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 AM
and Fozzie B!

How very kind of you, to make sure the puppies and Mom are safe and fed.

Do you have a feed store nearby? They usually carry good brands of dog food. I highly recommend anything made by Natura... particularly Innova, it works well for most dogs, and it has excellent ingredients. Do you have access to goat's milk? That would be awesome, for soaking the kibble. Raw meat and raw meaty bones (things like chicken wings, chicken/turkey necks, etc, are awesome for puppies) would be a great supplement to their diet and their Mom's diet.

I agree with Grammy, in that it is essential that the puppies have as much human contact as possible. Handle them and work with their Mom as much as you can... move them into the house if at ALL possible, even if just at night or for a few hours a day.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

WE had a lab that had been stolen from my boss and taken to a farm where she had several litters of puppies and was not in anyway cared for. SHe learned to fend on her own. After my boss got her back (according to the story it was at gunpoint) she had her own ways of doing things and no one was going to stop her. EVen if the litter of pups were not her own, she would sneak out and come back and regurgitate a belly full of field mice.

Make sure you get those puppies their puppy shots on time. THat is always my biggest worry.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat