Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Top Dog

I found some dogs being re-homed on Craigslist as well, some I thought might be from BYBs so I am not posting them, here's one that seems like a rehoming not a breeder selling:
Gizmo (will need to be spayed): Mini Schnauzer Female

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I've never heard of a reputable breeder selling a puppy for $50-300. Around here, that's what rescue dogs cost.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If you can't afford a puppy at $500, I think you should really consider if you can afford a puppy at this time. Puppies are pretty darn expensive their first year: several rounds of shots, a spay/neuter, and that's just assuming your dog isn't a trouble-maker and doesn't have to go to the vet for anything else. I don't even want to know how much I spent at the vet with Auggie his first year - and we didn't even have anything TOO serious happen. And what if your dog ends up sick - very, very sick? You are asking for real health problems trying to find a puppy from a "breeder" for $50-300.

The papers have nothing to do with it. Nothing. The cost for a breeder to register a litter with the AKC is dirt cheap. A whopping $25 per litter plus $2/pup. The difference between a dog with and without papers is not what you should be looking at here - what you're looking for is the difference between a QUALITY, HEALTHY dog, and a dog where somebody (either through ignorance or greed) has decided to breed with no dedication to the overall quality and health of the dog, and the breed as a whole, in mind.

Rescue. Adopt. Please.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
Well, papers do matter because they cost around $200. So some breeders, "the not so reputable ones", will not register their dogs and that way lower their cost and price. People who just want the cheapest dog will think they got a good deal even though that dog may not be of good quality.
When does it cost $200? Charlie and Strider's papers only cost $30 each to send in, and then they gave us a gift certificate for dog supplies. And then, the breeder didn't pay for the registration. As the new owners we did.

Anyway, here is the link for mini schnauzer rescue. Right now they have a TON of beautiful dogs.
Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston 1-Looking for Homes

The benefit to paying the bit extra to get one from a reputable breeder is having the health screenings done. If the folks who put Salty and Pepper together because they'll make cute schnauzer babies and sell them for $100 in the paper haven't done any health testing, and you get one, how are you going to pay the vet bills to correct luxating patella, or siezure meds every month should problems arise?

One way to go about getting the money is to just put way $20 a month. Since you don't know of anyone with puppies right now anyway, you can start saving. That way, if you know you can come up with $300 on the spot you only need to save up a little bit more. It's very doable, that's how we paid for my husbands dog and the dumb little guy was $1100. Totally worth every penny though. He, and his parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts uncles etc. are all totally screened for every health problem and in the OFA database with excellent scores. The peace of mind knowing that we most likely won't be dealing with the heartbreak of chronic and crippling diseases, and the money saved is well worth it. And he came microchipped too.

ETA: something else to keep in mind, is whether a breeder charging $300 and less is worming and vaccinating the puppies. If not, that is another expense you will have to shoulder.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
When does it cost $200? Charlie and Strider's papers only cost $30 each to send in, and then they gave us a gift certificate for dog supplies. And then, the breeder didn't pay for the registration. As the new owners we did.
Good to know I wasn't the only one confused. Smudge's breeder paid to register him. Also like 30 bucks or less.. was easier being an american and then I'd have proof of ownership before he flew just in case I needed it.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Why is your mom so adamant about getting a purebred dog? If she is willing to go to a bad breeder it means she has no idea if her dog will look just like or act like a Schnauzer should, good breeder do things to ensure this. You sound like you should be going to a shelter or rescue, that way you'll be getting what you want (since having a perfect Schnauzer temperament does not sound like it matters all that much) at a lower price. Bring your mom to meet some of the shelter guys and she may just fall in love.
Look at some of these guys:
Tallulah: Adopt a Schnauzer: Tallulah Belle: Petfinder
Riley: Adopt a Schnauzer: Riley: Petfinder
Mooch: Adopt a Schnauzer: Mooch: Petfinder
Rudy: Adopt a Schnauzer: Rudy #6065: Petfinder
Thelma: Adopt a Terrier: Thelma: Petfinder
Louise: Adopt a Terrier: Louise: Petfinder
Denny: Adopt a Schnauzer: Denny: Petfinder
Hamish: Adopt a Scottish Terrier Scottie: Hamish MacConn (Mu: Petfinder
The only problem with shelters is that it is hard to find purebred dogs unless they're very old or have some behavioral issues. On rare occasions you may find a purebred dog left by the owners because they simply cannot or do not know how to take care of him/her anymore. Such dogs are probably easier to find in larger cities and shelters. I have nothing against mixed breed dogs since they make great companions. I adopted my 1st dog and she is living with my grandma now. She is a Sheltie mix and 13 years old and still going strong.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Yes and all the petfinder dogs were mixes, there are some breeds where finding purebreds is easy but Schnauzers in her area were not too common purebred. BUT she is willing to go to a BYB, BYBs do not temperament test, show or work their dogs, they could have the temperament of a Shih Tzu, be the size of a pit bull (or chihuahua) and have the drive of an English Bulldog. You might as well get a mix if you are okay with getting a purebred that might be nothing like a purebred. There is no reason to get a purebred from a breeder unless you really want the traits of that breed, and if you do you would not be willing to go to a BYB.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

$500 is low for a well-bred dog. Shippo is a pet quality dog from a show breeder and I paid $600. I wasn't expecting to pay less then $800 for one. Have you guys looked into Schnauzer rescue? I only skimmed...

EDIT: Ah, I see now.

Well, I agree with some others about finding somebody on craigslist who can no longer care for their dog and just needs to re-home it if you can't find a schnauzer in the shelter.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
The only problem with shelters is that it is hard to find purebred dogs unless they're very old or have some behavioral issues. On rare occasions you may find a purebred dog left by the owners because they simply cannot or do not know how to take care of him/her anymore. Such dogs are probably easier to find in larger cities and shelters. I have nothing against mixed breed dogs since they make great companions. I adopted my 1st dog and she is living with my grandma now. She is a Sheltie mix and 13 years old and still going strong.
Actually, that is a load of BS. I got Django a purebred Aussie, at 5 months of age, and he did not have any behavioral issues beyond the fact that he hadn't had any obedience training and he was a puppy. I got Saga, a purebred Doberman, at 9 months, with the same story. I used to volunteer at this same shelter and we almost constanly had young sweet wonderful purebred dogs. 30ish % of dogs in shelters are purebred and most of thier "behavioral issues" are due to people not researching the breed they are buying, just getting it because it is cute and then further screwing themselves by not doing any sort of training. Please don't perpetuate the stereotype that the only dogs in shelters are messed up mongrels with severe issues, because that isn't even close to the truth.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
Actually, that is a load of BS.
Wow, you are very opinionated! Sorry! I just do not how to follow that part, that's all.