I'm always confusing these 3 breeds...whats a good rule of thumb to remember

Says goodbye to chazhound....done with forums
I'm always confusing these 3 breeds...whats a good rule of thumb to remember them by.

I'm always confusing the Rhodesian Ridgeback, The Red Bone Coonhound, and the Visla for each other. They just look so similar to me.

What is a good way to identify them?

Any certain features that stick out?

Thanks

Toller_08

Vizsla are smaller than the other two, and always have flesh pigment and usually a docked tail. They're also a sporting breed. Ridgebacks have a ridge down their back, of course (though some are ridgeless), and normally have black pigment. Coonhounds definitely have a more houndy build than a Ridgeback or a Vizsla. Their ears are quite a bit bigger, and their head is a bit of a different shape. They sort of remind me of bloodhounds, but with less wrinkles. There's probably more differentiating features, but I can't think of them at the moment. :)

Zhucca

Lab Love
Vizsla's have flesh coloured noses.

Ridgebacks of course have the ridge, black noses. Tighter lips, sharper stop and shorter, triangular ears.

Redbones have ears that reach their nose when stretched out. Looser lips.

Pops2

redbones don't always have long ears, in fact a lot of field bred hounds have short currish ears like a ridgie or a BMC. ridgies don't always have ridges.
redbones almost always have hound heads which are almost always rectangular, while ridgies & vizlas almost always have square heads. also the vizla & ridgeback generally have a broad chest while the redbones almost always have a deep chest.

Zhucca

Lab Love
The redbone standard says that ears should reach near the nose when stretched out. However, that is probably field vs show.

Members online