Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Default Why Do Dogs Prefer Their Own Breed?

I've heard this many times, but have no clue why. I mean, I can see that dogs of the same breed are similar sized and might be less intimidating/look like prey, but does anyone know the reall reason. I've heard it said most in reference to JRT's and Dachsunds.
I've noticed that Argon seems to really like a dog at daycare who is just his size and similarly shaped (long legs, skinny body, tiny head), though not the same breed/mix but I don't know if it is just the dogs personality or what.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

the only dog ive ever really noticed that with is chihuahuas. they can be downright nasty to completly ignore most other dogs, but love other chis lol who knows
Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm All Ears

The paps are like this for the most part. We had a papillon get together with 20 some odd papillons just fine. They were all playing nicely, greeted each other nicely and then someone brought their papillon and their 'other dog' (smallish black mutt with short hair and floppy ears). The entire group went crazy barking at him, which they hadn't done for any of the other dogs.

Eventually they let him play though.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Beagles are clannish. They speak one another's language...they do not get offended by long intense sniffing of privates or the need to be ON one another when sleeping. Many other dogs, and breeds...DO.

Doesn't mean they CANNOT interact with other dogs/breeds....you've seen mine. It just means they PREFER...to be with their own if they have an option.

I will go you one further S&S...my red Beagles always prefer to be with other Red's if given a choice...and my Tri's...with other Tri's. When I had a litter of 2 red and one tri girls...the 2 reds almost NEVER interacted with their sister...I always felt rather bad for her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Just try me..

My dogs don't. The JRTs get along with any other breed better than their own.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
woop

Pit LOVES tollers. He can spot them from so far away and he just starts screaming with excitement. There was another toller in our agility class and every time we passed her, Pit's brain would fall out his ears and he'd go bonkers.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Lol...this is so true of my Skyes and the breed. Rob's breeder always says when they see each other they know it...and it's true. Show him in the group ring and he does NOT care about the other dogs, shows no interest...but in the breed ring, and if we have competition, it's a pita to even get him to realize I exist. All he wants is to see his own kind. Male or female, he whines for them, won't take his eyes off of them and needs to chase them. He ends up looking like and scrunched inch-worm and runs up on himself.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
~Lisa~

Blaze has no choice int he matter, since we dont know any other collies lol. So he is limitied to his irish wolfhound, lab, chiuahuah, english bull dog and mixed breed buddies lol. which is fine by him, all the more to herd around.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Yorkie Love

Never noticed this with mine.

Actually, at the dog park recently, there was another yorkie and Armani really wanted nothing to do with her... she was very mellow and he was bored easily by her... he went off to play with the Cav and Doxies that were more energetic. I notice with him, it is more of an energy level thing... he wants someone who will play, run, wrestle, etc with him... if your just gonna stand there he has no interest in you.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Puppy Dog

I've never noticed that before with my dogs. Boomer doesnt really like any dogs he's not to picky, if its another aussie he's just as likely to bite its ear off as any other breed lol. Preston loves labs though, he's a little 12 lb dog.. no lab in him lol but he has always loved labs.

Boomer: 5 1/2 yr old Australian Shepherd
Preston: 8 yr old Ocherese
Duke: 4+ year old Lab mix?

Kitties: Sophie, Misty, and Angel

Everyone else: Buddy and Charlie- sugar gliders; Stormy, Tempest, Thunder- chinchillas; Lexi- leopard gheco; Meg and Amy- frogs; 1 Beta fish (name pending)