Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Active Pup

Default Anybody there with Dogue de Bordeau experience

Hi,
I have a 4 year old dogue de bordeau. And being a DDB he drools. Now i am not a newbie with dogs, lived with them whole of my life. So it is not that i get enouyed over a little stain on the furniture once in a while. But ... having to clean the ceiling weekly... (i am not exaggerating). I hand out cover-alls and towels, at the door, to friends and family who come to visit.
So question 1 : are all DDB that bad ? or did i just get unlucky in that area ?

(btw, i never "aimed for a DDB, went to a shelter one day, and saw a dog there, who for all other foster parents, was too big, had a big scarry face, and was very fierce, scared people away when they passed his cage, so i decided that was the one i would give a chance, not even knowing what race he was - turned out to be a true bread DDB who was neglected and beaten for 1,5 years).

In the mean time with a lot of patience, he became a lovely dog, sweat and trustful again, but still drooling as hell.

Now sorry for the long intro, but i heard they can have an operation to stop that. And i heard a lot of contradiction over it.
So if anybody can give me some more information about.. please plese..
If i would have it done, it would my life a lot easier, but only if i am sure that for him it would be..well like extracting a wisdom tooth, not agreeable, but not having any other effects on him or his health.
If i am not 100% convinced of that..i will not go for the operation, I will just live with his drooling and cleaning and the guests will just have to accept, his health and comfort comes before my comfort.
Daniell
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

There is an operation to stop drooling? So how can they produce saliva after that? Sorry, but this is the first time I hear they have a procedure for stopping drooling and I am not sure what it involves. Are you sure they are not after your money and that this is a legitimate operation?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
There is an operation to stop drooling? So how can they produce saliva after that? Sorry, but this is the first time I hear they have a procedure for stopping drooling and I am not sure what it involves. Are you sure they are not after your money and that this is a legitimate operation?
I think sh emeans more along the lines of a doggie face lift. I have heard of them. Never investigated them though. But Blaze in Agility class makes me wish he would have a face lift for his drool, and he is a collie. I could just imagine the drool you DDB makes. After blaze plays with his 3 DDB friends, looks like he had a bath from all the drool he gets covered in lol
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Bored Now.

Oh. . . my. . . god.

You want an operation to stop your dog from drooling?

I hope to god there is no procedure like that that exists, because it would involve chopping up his flews (lips) and sewing them back together or something. I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that would be.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

I have Hamish and he is a 3 year old DDB. He can be a serious drooler at times but it just one of the perks that comes with the breed. We keep his food and water in the basement since it is unfinished so he can drip dry abit before coming upstairs and once he does come upstairs we have teatowels and just wipe his face all the time. He comes in from running around outside we wipe his face, when he gets a cookie we wipe his face basically anytime he does something besides laying down we wip his face. lol. It does help alot with splatter marks everywhere in the house. The lovely shoelaces can be gross at time.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Hahahahaha ^. I've known a few dane people and a few mastiff people that when at the park, pet store etc, have a tea towel looped into their belt... Give cookie, wipe face. Play, come back to see people, get a face wipe.. repeat..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Hahahahaha ^. I've known a few dane people and a few mastiff people that when at the park, pet store etc, have a tea towel looped into their belt... Give cookie, wipe face. Play, come back to see people, get a face wipe.. repeat..
We even have all of our friends trained that come to the house. Whoever is closes to the basement when Hamish comes upstairs from drinking/eating has to get up and wipe his face.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
LoveMyBully

I have an English Bulldog that could probably put your DBB to shame, lol. Dozer has a malformed mouth (probably thanks to BYB), and none of his teeth line up nor can he completely close his mouth. 99.9999% of the time he's got a HUGE noodle of drool hanging from his mouth...and if you aren't quick, he'll wipe it on your legs!

I clean drool from the most inane places...the sofa, the windows, the coffee table, the TV...me...the cat...anything and everything, really. I also have towels just for wiping his face.

I wouldn't change anything about him, though. And I've never heard of a drool-stopping surgery. I imagine it has to do with removing saliva glands. What do YOU know about it?
Mikey (6)
Millie the Cat (7)
Dozer the Bulldog (5)
Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

First of all, welcome Daniell.
I'm Breawna; and I have quite a bit of experience with breeds that drool - quite a bit.

The drool is part of what comes with getting this breed of dog, and I think that type of operation would be completely unecessary! I think you should have done more research before getting one if you were going to have a problem with the drool, in my own opinion.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm All Ears

I love mastiffs but I could not deal with that amount of drool! It used to ick me out when my sheltie would drool a bit on my leg. I can't imagine finding drool on the ceilings.

I need to remember this every time I think 'A mastiff would be cool....'