Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Silence! I ban you!

I was walking with Xena by the Walmart the other day. I had a video to return to the Red Box (which is right by the door in the front lobby). I am in there frequently with Xena and the one greeter, Marianne, gives her treats all the time (which makes it interesting in that if I'm walking Xena, she always wants to go to Walmart for a treat). Anyway, I was waiting out front because the box was occupied and I didn't want to subject the person using the box to Xena's friendliness. The greeter (not Marianne) came over and actually said to me, "If you tell me she's a service dog, you can bring her in the store." I just said, "No thanks, I'm just waiting to return a video". No way would I ever try to pass off Xena as a service dog. That's not fair to those dogs that have legitimately gone through the training and earned that title. I was really flabbergasted that she'd even suggest that

And Boxer, if you don't have any good advice to give, please don't give any. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Felurian

Or she maybe someone out trolling for a lawsuit to file . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the advice! I know there are many chazzers here with service dogs, and they would know the proper procedures. It makes me angry that thsi dog is giving all legitimate service dogs a bad name.
I've not seen any type of patch to suggest what services Fluffy may perform, but to be honest, I would be afraid to get close enough to read one!
I'll print out the documents and talk to managment today.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Let us know how it goes with management!! Good for you for doing something!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
I would talk to the owner of this dog and ask them to show proof that this is a service dog.
If I were in a wheelchair in a store and complained that the elevator was out of service so that I can't get up the stairs, would you ask me for proof that I can't walk up the stairs?

It is EXACTLY the same for assistance dogs. Assistance dogs are first and formost medical aids (at least in public.... of course at home I'm sure they're treated as pets). You wouldn't even ask someone with medical equipment to proove that they need it, why should someone with an assistance dog be subjected to those same questions?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
And Boxer, if you don't have any good advice to give, please don't give any. Thanks.
Boxer is apparently on a roll. 2 days of mainly really poor advice. Least till now most of it was just stupid, not lawsuit material.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

OP, keep up updated, I'm interested to see how this one turns out.
Call me a !@%$# but it REALLY ticks me off when people get away with something they shouldn't, no matter what the reasons behind it.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Very Food Agressive

I also want to keep updated about this! I've seen people trying to take their dogs into stores that were OBVIOUSLY not service dogs. Luckily none come to my favorite places but the random customer does try to bring their dog into the grocery that I work at.

Power(Law) abuse for the sake of poorly behaved companionship is ridiculous.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Taxiderpy

People posing as disabled using imposter service animals are breaking federal law, and the feds are starting to crack down as it's becoming a problem. First time offenders have gotten jail time for it.

The store managers have every right to ask her to remove the dog from the premises as it is trying to bite people. They can give her the option to come back without him. If she refuses to comply they are perfectly within their rights to call the state police and let them know someone claiming to be disabled is in their store with a dog they are claiming is a service dog, it is trying to attack people and she refuses to leave.

I assume they have surveillance cameras? That by itself would probably be enough to protect them from any lawsuits filed.