Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Default Is There Anything I Can Do?

Or should I just keep out of it?
There is a service dog who frequents the same stores I do. He is a fluffy thing, about 35 lbs. He wears a service vest that says "Do Not Pet Me, I Am Working". His owner is not obviously disabled, but of course she still could be.

This dog is the meanest thing I have ever layed eyes on. He attempts to attack any person who is in the same aisle as him, while the owner goes "Oh, it's ok Fluffy." Then she smiles at you and goes "Oh, he's working"

The store managers won't do anything about it, as they are afraid of causing a scene. I have a strong suspicion that this dog is a pet who's owner is trying to bend the rules by getting him a vest from somewhere.

Is there any sort of oversight for Service animals that this woman can be reported to? It makes me nervous to be around him, this dog is not kidding when he lunges. Or should I just try and keep on the opposit side of the store?

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Is there any training organization logo on the vest? If you can find out where he was trained, you can call them. But he might have been trained by the owner.

Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

Quote:
10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.
I think the first thing I would do would be to print out that page and bring it to the managers at the store, pointing out to them that they can ask that an aggressive dog leave. I would continue to work my way up the chain of command until someone did something about it.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

He may be in training ....not a good candidate !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Is there any training organization logo on the vest? If you can find out where he was trained, you can call them. But he might have been trained by the owner.

Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

I think the first thing I would do would be to print out that page and bring it to the managers at the store, pointing out to them that they can ask that an aggressive dog leave. I would continue to work my way up the chain of command until someone did something about it.
What she said. I think there are a lot of people who want to take their pet dogs into stores and get those vests which you can get online. It's disgusting. People like that with dogs like that will ruin it for legitimate, disabled people who need their service dogs. I'd definitely pursue it. No service dog should be aggressive like you describe. And the stores should not allow them in to terrorize their customers. Ridiculous!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

What Doberluv said---No SD lunges, growls, raises hackles or displays any sign of aggression towards anyone. Even if someone was to approach the ( supposedly)disabled
woman in an unfriendly manner the dog is taught not to react. First thing a SD and the owner are taught is that this is not a protection dog. Otherwise the dog could perceive anything rude, abrupt etc as a need to defend. This dog is very obviously NOT a SD and by reporting the dog and the owner you are doing a service to the truly disabled who do own and need a real SD.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

No, just put a vest on your dog and bring him with you and you will see how Fluffy will stop lunging at you.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
No, just put a vest on your dog and bring him with you and you will see how Fluffy will stop lunging at you.
And exactly how prey tell does putting a vest on ones own dog solve this issue? So the possibly fake SD can lunge and take on your own dog? Peachy. That just fixes everything.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Salty Sea Dog

pleas do print out a copy of the SD FAQ's have the store owner POST it on thier wall by the register.

if the dog is acting agressivly service dog or not the owner has the right to ask them to leave and if she wont the store owner can call the police.
this goes for any kind of REAL disruption (SD barking in a movie theater with no reason, agressive sd anywhere ect)

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer100 View Post
What?

What???

This person is trying to discuss a real issue, a SERIOUS issue, and you have this sort of response?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
And exactly how prey tell does putting a vest on ones own dog solve this issue? So the possibly fake SD can lunge and take on your own dog? Peachy. That just fixes everything.
A true SD will never lunge and take on your own dog! If he does, then he should no longer be used as an SD dog or walked outside of the house for that matter before being properly trained and socialized by a professional. But of course I was not being serious about it.