Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

See Flea's airn't a huge problem where I live. Last summer for whatever reason was the worst summer for flea's. Everyone we knew said it was horrible.

But all the summers before that I never once had a flea jump on me from the dogs or have a infestation. We would usually see a couple on the Cockers when we groomed them in the summer. But nothing too out of control.

Living in the city in north east Ohio Ticks are near non existant. The only time I EVER pulled a tick off Maggie May is when we were visiting my dad in Southern Ohio. And he lived in a wooded area. I had never seen a tick period until that. I didn't even know what it was until my dad said it was a tick.

So in other words over all im usually pretty lucky when it comes to fleas and ticks. And really in the past havent had to use squeeze on flea treatments on the dogs and cats. But after the change last summer im not wanting to chance it. So thats why I bought the Natural Defense stuff. Just for some peace of mind.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 AM
~Caiza~

The thing that I find frightening the most is the fact that we as dog owners are putting something on our pets that is killing an insect. Think about it. It's like spraying a can of raid on them I understand that some people have no choice because of where they live but you really do have a choice. I think back to when I was growing up and I'm 34 years young we used a flea collar if anything on our dogs and they were fine. What has made the ticks over the years so much more prevelent in areas? That is what I would like to know anyone?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattlehound_ACD View Post
What has made the ticks over the years so much more prevelent in areas? That is what I would like to know anyone?
government conspiracy.

i remember sitting around on summer afternoons picking fleas off the dog and drowning them in soapy water. flea collars were just as ineffective then as they are now.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
FluffyZooCrew

I *hate* those chemicals, and rarely ever use them. It had been forever since I put flea meds on my dogs, and none ever had flea's. They are bathed in dawn dish soap reguarly and flea combed nightly. However Bo had been getting a couple flea's here and there, despite the bathing and flea combing, so almost 2 months ago, we had to put Advantage on him. Never saw a flea again, and will not use that stuff again unless I absolutely have to.