Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-11-2009, 05:34 AM
~Caiza~

Exclamation Flea, Tick Products Under Increased Scrutiny and making our dogs sick!

I DON'T, WON'T and WILL never use those spot on treatments for my dog/dogs! EPA is investigating flea and tick treatments after thousands of complaints! Alls I have to say is....... IT IS ABOUT TIME!!!!!

Flea, Tick Products Under Increased Scrutiny - Most Popular News Story - WCVB Boston
Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Nevermind.

What I ordered is Sentry Natural Defense which is different than Sentry Pro.

Im still kinda iffy about trying it now though.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

My grandparents dog Addie, gets real mean and grouchy and just lays around for about 3 to 4 days after the Flea/tick is applied.

My Grandparents have decided to take her off Flea/tick (she is on advantage multi) and just give her heartworm medicine.

Wise idea.

My poodle Zack breaks out in the area its applied and it itches him so bad he digs until he bleeds......we've applied it once in the last 6 months (and that was last month due to all the ticks coming out) This last time we used Advantage (he does the same thing with advantage as he did with the frontline)

Doesn't seem to phase our mix Sasha...then again nothing really does

I've become very iffy with the stuff in the last year.

We figure we will treat as needed....I mean our dogs are primarily inside dogs (but we do take them to the park and to my grandparents to play) but we just keep them bathed and so far so good

Currently we just do the heartworm preventative

I've never heard of sentry or sentrypro but I do know what the others do to my dog
Old 05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I put frontline plus on Xena once a month (just got it on her Saturday, actually). No adverse reactions so far. She also gets a heartgaurd at the same time.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

Kenya is on advantage multi, nothing bad so far.
I hate using it. i feel like im putting chemicals on my dog.. but i live in a constantly hot state and fleas/ticks flourish here and without it, shes covered.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
~Caiza~

This has been a big thing here in Boston and has been getting alot of attention here on the news stations. I also use the all natural sentry defense stuff and I faithfully check Caiza after our daily romps through the woods. I do give heartguard but I have always been so skeptical over these pyrethrins that are being applied to our beloved dogs. I personally just wont ever use them and feel good about my choice. We will just have to wait and see how much more evidence of it being a health hazzard to our dogs comes out in the future.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I have never used it on any of my dogs. I just cant see where a pestitcide that stays in their body is a good thing. Goes to read the link.
Heartworm preventative is not a choice. But there are other ways to take care of fleas and ticks. I am lucky because i have dogs without heavy coats. You can see a flea or tick on them easily.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Unfortunately, since I live in Florida, I have to use flea/tick products. I use Advantage and I can get away with using it every 45 days.

We've tried all natural remedies and none of them have worked. My chis spend a lot of time outside and without the Advantage they'd be covered in fleas.

However, I would never ever use certain products like Hartz/Sentry/etc. They scare me way too much.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
overdogged

i don't use a lot of topicals because my dogs don't seem to need them, but i do use them from time to time. in the fall i usually need something for fleas on the cats. i use frontline (dogs and indoor/outdoor cat) and advantage for my indoor only flea allergy cat. i've never had a problem.

depending on where you live and what kind of dog you have, it's far too risky to not use topicals. around here, the big concern is ticks, and if you live in the woods and have a hairy dog, you're never going to find every deer tick that gets on your dog. while there's a vaccine for lyme disease, there are other ugly diseases that ticks carry. i'd rather just use frontline.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

YOu can't find a deer tick anyway. IT is the size of a grain of sand. THe ticks you usually find are the larger variety that can carry the same diseases. Lyme does not just come from the deer tick. I make sure my dogs have their lyme vaccines.
THis year for us is the worst i have ever seen for ticks. I bet i have run into 50. My brother was in a resturant and felt a tickle on his hand. HE looked down and yes it was. He dropped it when he was trying to kill it (he didn't know they don't mash) and couldn't find it so i assume it found someone else to dine on. YOur not safe anywhere.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,