Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Active Pup

Default I want to get a dog

Hi, im new here.
Since moving out of my parents home ive been wanting to get a dog. I love dogs and always wanted one of my own. Me and my boyf live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a largish balcony ,we're 1 floor up. I dont even know if our landlord will allow us to keep one here - i should ask really. But would keeping a dog here be ok/ fair you think? I would love for it to have a garden to play in but it looks like we'll be living here a while =(
Of course i would take it for walks everyday and there is always 1 person at home.
It will be my 1st time keeping a dog. anyone got any advice ??
if someone from the dogs home was to do a home check- what would they look for/ ask?

thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Active Pup

You should get a sooner.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Its fine to have a dog in an apartment, as long as he gets the proper excercise. Some shelters won't let you adopt a dog without a backyard, I know I was turned down by a beagle rescue due to not having a fenced in yard. Do you know how old your dog will be? I suggest getting an older dog because they tend to be housebroken and some-what calmer than puppies. Definately check to see if its ok to keep the pup first, thats a priority. Check out this site,( www.dogbreedinfo.com ) it will help you A LOT in deciding what breed is good for your lifestyle. Keep us updated.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

Apartment is fine, as long as the dogs have proper excercise. Just make sure you pick a breed that will correspond to how much excercise you are willing to give to your dog (I've always used this breed selector, I think it's pretty accurate).

For the advice, the best I can tell you is to browse the forums a bit I think, or ask any question you have, I'm sure you will get lots of replies here.

You're thinking of adopting a dog? I have no idea what they check in houses, I'm not even sure that many rescues do home checks, they just ask lots of questions.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

Oh, by the way, just ignore that h2305 kid. He's just a little weed.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Active Pup

You should get a sooner, they are the best breed of dog.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

I volunteer with rescue and DO HOME CHECKS! I've placed a lab with an apartment person before (my -ex!). It's all about the right dog in the right place. She was very small and just wanted to be close to her "person", so it worked out great. Not all labs could be apt. dwellers, however. Need to do your research. I wouldn't suggest a working breed for an apt. overall. Some kind of lap dog or medium sized mix from the pound... please rescue!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Active Pup

Ask me what a sooner is.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2305
Ask me what a sooner is.
Nobody cares, more important serious things to discuss.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:06 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNHunter
I volunteer with rescue and DO HOME CHECKS! I've placed a lab with an apartment person before (my -ex!). It's all about the right dog in the right place. She was very small and just wanted to be close to her "person", so it worked out great. Not all labs could be apt. dwellers, however. Need to do your research. I wouldn't suggest a working breed for an apt. overall. Some kind of lap dog or medium sized mix from the pound... please rescue!
I agree please rescue and if you are serious and pick a working breed be prepared to exercise exercise exercise. I have a german shepherd in an apartment, he is a pup, and it is like 3-4 hours of running, vigerous exercise or he is destroying the place.