Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
RedyreRottweilers

OMG dekka, those pictures are tugging at my heart strings! Precious!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Dekka...those pictures made me all misty eyed!
TT____TT me too....
Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Dekka those pictures melted my heart.

For me... most of the dogs I got as puppies I didn't bond overly well with except one, Cheyanne. That dog and I had a very close bond...

But I have to say... there is no dog on this earth I have ever bonded too like I've bonded with Bamm... and I got him when he was almost 2 years old. Sure I wish I could have had him and experienced his puppy years... but I wouldn't trade that dog for the world.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

The closest bond I have ever had is with Uncle Fred. He was just about full grown when I got him and absolutely worships the ground I walk on.

The next closest was with Ahoj, the Scottie I got when he was at least ten, maybe older. Our theory is that these dogs who have had tough lives elsewhere blossom when they are loved and cared for and love you like no other dogs can

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Oh yes, definitely....depending on your relationship with your dog, young or old, you should have a really strong bond. Dekka.....such heart warming and darling pictures.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Both,will bond,just,as much!.
I've had both and I would do it,again!.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

wIth a puppy if you do your homework you can do early socialization, and train gently but your still going to go through phases like the teenage time. I prefer a puppy for myself because i adore babies. YOu can get the same depth of relationship from a rescued older dog though you may have some issues. I think it boils down to about the same in the work department except for chewing.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Dekka - the pictures are great. Your son is a cutie too.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
For me it's the training aspect. But it's really only an issue because I train for various competition venues.
I train service dogs, and my organization gets all of our dogs from shelters/rescues. The temperment evaluations for puppies are not accurate enough for what we do, so we only adopt adult dogs -- 1-3 years old.

It is very hard to compare organizations, since the training program and standards are different everywhere, but IMO we spend just as much time training the dogs as an organization that starts with puppies. Sometimes, too, because we don't know exact ages of the dogs, we get younger dogs - 8-12 months - and we ALWAYS spend more time training these dogs, because they lack the maturity to do the job as well as an older dog. Most of a service dog's job is to lay and chill out, which younger dogs have a hard time with! So we find that older dogs are much easier to train overall.

If you compare release rates - the number of dogs that are brought into the program only to be determined to not have the temperment for a service dog - our rate is also much lower than the rest of the industry. We release about 40% of the dogs we bring in. Organizations that breed their own dogs will release about 70-80% of the litter - and they are breeding ONLY for temperment, and do extensive socialization and early training with their puppies.

So, again, it's very hard to compare, but IMO there is no benefit to getting a puppy versus an adult, or vice-versa. Personally, I'd ALWAYS prefer an adult, puppies drive me crazy!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Puppy Dog

I think getting them as an older dog, they appreciate you more. I got Roly from a pet shop and 10 weeks old and Lady as a one year old, it may be the breeds, but Lady is a lot more willing to please and like more attention. Roly takes me for granted