Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

sheesh, k well its kinda sad to know that my vet isnt the only one that seems oblivious to animal behavior. I understand that there is no formal training, but you would think years of dealing with animals would lea to some sort of understanding of behavior...guess not!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Some people - some vets, are retards.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
sheesh, k well its kinda sad to know that my vet isnt the only one that seems oblivious to animal behavior. I understand that there is no formal training, but you would think years of dealing with animals would lea to some sort of understanding of behavior...guess not!
That's what I was thinking! I mean, most people figure out what a scared dog looks like, and what scares/hurts dogs. Cutting the quick is horrible! Poor Oakley. I accidentally cut Strider's quick once and it was 6 months before I could use the clippers again, he was so scared it would hurt him.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Vets are people and we all know there are plenty of pet owners - and even people who have owned pets for decades who are pretty clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I mean, most people figure out what a scared dog looks like, and what scares/hurts dogs.
If that were true, CM would be out of work.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Show Dog

I would change vets. Take him to vet just for introduction, no shots etc. make it a nice experience. Poor guy sounds pretty afraid but I would put the muzzle on before I got there since it is a common reaction for him

---Clicky my eggs/hatchlings please.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

My dogs are always beyond happy to see vets of any sex and welcome them with open arms so I have not been in your shoes.
Since this is a common reaction with your dog I suggest fitting him with a muzzle before the exam for the safety to everyone involved with your dog.
Sometimes it is hard to see the quicks in dark thick nails. Any reason why you had his nails cut at the vet office, could you maybe do it yourself? I suggest this because our Dobermans have thick dark nails and we use a dremel grinding tool, that way we never hit the quick to where it bleeds a lot and hurts.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Vets are people and we all know there are plenty of pet owners - and even people who have owned pets for decades who are pretty clueless.

If that were true, CM would be out of work.
touché
Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberdogs View Post
My dogs are always beyond happy to see vets of any sex and welcome them with open arms so I have not been in your shoes.
Since this is a common reaction with your dog I suggest fitting him with a muzzle before the exam for the safety to everyone involved with your dog.
Sometimes it is hard to see the quicks in dark thick nails. Any reason why you had his nails cut at the vet office, could you maybe do it yourself? I suggest this because our Dobermans have thick dark nails and we use a dremel grinding tool, that way we never hit the quick to where it bleeds a lot and hurts.
we usually don't cut Oakley's at all, as the pavement typically wears them down enough that its never been an issue. The vet didnt ask if we wanted it done...he just grabbed some clippers & did it w/out asking (another reason why I dislike him). At least he didnt charge for it.

I def plan to change vets. I am taking Oakley to live with me down in SC (he is currently living with my fam in MI), so when we get there, that is one of the first things on my 'to do' list. I am gonna call & let them know the situation & work with them to create a very pleasant first time environment in the new office.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
The vet didnt ask if we wanted it done...he just grabbed some clippers & did it w/out asking.
Oh, ugh. I think I would've walked out of the office right then.

Yelling about it on my way through the waiting room and parking lot. But I rarely let anyone else clip my dogs' nails. Even if I take them to a groomer for a bath, I'll ask that the nails not be done.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

We have ran into some vets we don't like. Heck even groomers.....We took Sasha to petsmart to get her nails done.....she is real nervous about her nails done (one time someone cut the quick so she is very uptight about that)

My husband stood there and told them to muzzle her (we don't own a muzzle for her) just in case.

The woman didn't listen and it was just her and my dog, and my husband in there.

She started growling and he said "you need to muzzle her"

She ignored him and said "I don't think its necissary just help me hold her down"

Then Sasha nipped at her (didn't bite her but she jumped back and had my husband muzzle her)

Now had she bit her my dog could have been in a world of hurt because there were no other witnesses.

The groomer had lack of respect for us and our dog and ignored our warning. Sasha has never bit anyone but she got real mean with me when I tried to trim her nails before so we figured she needed muzzled.

From now on she will not be handled by the groomer until she is muzzled or else we will leave and go somewhere else....I don't want to take the risk.

i'll buy my own muzzle if I have to

I know how you feel though. And its not that they are bad dogs they just relate it to a previous bad experience I think. And at the end of the day they are still animals and they can still react like animals.

And a vet or groomer of all people should understand that

It is frustrating though I know