Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Show Dog

Default Do dogs get hay fever?

Jake has been sneezing and has discharge from his eyes since a couple of days ago. We have been to the vet once and got medication for his eyes. She was not sure if it was seasonal allergies or not, he had no temperature and is eating fine, no diarreah, but he is a little quieter than normal, but still very active.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Just try me..

Yes it can be seasonal allergies. Snip's skin is very pink right now due to pollen. It doesn't affect his eyes, but I know of dogs who are.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Show Dog

Does he get an antihistamine for it?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Just try me..

we are looking into bee pollen. He doesn't seem bothered by it so I am hesitant to give him drugs for it.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

Chulita gets wheezy sometimes and stuffed up badly where it really impairs her breathing. It is not the same thing as the Chihuahua problem of the soft, collapsing trachea. She's just flat out snorkly and congested. The vet told me I could give her Benadryl....1 mg per pound of body weight. She doesn't have a real problem very frequently, but sometimes it gets to the point where I really feel sorry for her and worried. Then I give her the Benadryl.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Show Dog

Thanks. If it has not gone away by Monday we will go back to the vet. He is not sneezing quite as much tonight and he does not sneeze during the night.