Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Addicted to Agility

Smile Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

I have done alot of research on this breed and I have yet to find anything I dont like about them! They seem like a great dog for me. I wont be getting another dog for at least 2 years but its never to early to learn about the breed.
Now I would like to hear about those little things that no one ever seems to tell you about living with them. Or things that you think everyone needs to be aware of when considering a Toller.

Thanks alot guys.
Dont hesitate to post some pictures if you would like

Amazing fleece braided leashes, toys and more!
www.rushtotug.com
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Of all the Retrievers I think they need the most training . My second cousin has one and at 4 yrs. old is just starting to chill out !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

There is a ton of tollers doing AAC agility here. We see them often, and know a few people pretty well who own them. They can be wary of strangers. Even ones I know well will say hello to me let me snuggle them, but they aren't that interested in me the way other breeds often are. Do quite well in agility. Can be snarky with other dogs in a way retrievers usually aren't as a whole.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Addicted to Agility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
My second cousin has one and at 4 yrs. old is just starting to chill out !
haha sounds like my Lab, I love thos kinds of dogs

www.rushtotug.com
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Addicted to Agility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
There is a ton of tollers doing AAC agility here. We see them often, and know a few people pretty well who own them. They can be wary of strangers. Even ones I know well will say hello to me let me snuggle them, but they aren't that interested in me the way other breeds often are. Do quite well in agility. Can be snarky with other dogs in a way retrievers usually aren't as a whole.
There are a few Tollers around here that do agility as well.
It would be nice to have a dog that wasnt all "ohmigosh look at that person, lets go jump and lick them to death" haha.
Snarky with other dogs isnt a huge deal to me, I think that can just be a matter or socilization and what not.

www.rushtotug.com
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityKrazii View Post
There are a few Tollers around here that do agility as well.
It would be nice to have a dog that wasnt all "ohmigosh look at that person, lets go jump and lick them to death" haha.
Snarky with other dogs isnt a huge deal to me, I think that can just be a matter or socilization and what not.
I don't think its a matter of socialization. The ones I know are socialized VERY well and are still very aloof and somewhat DR. Its one of the reasons I LOVE tollers (was on a waiting list for awhile) they are not like other retrievers. Some are great with other dogs.. but many that I know are not... they are great with dogs they know, but not with rude/strange dogs. Its not lack of socialization in those cases.

(its like saying you can socialize a JRT into being great with all dogs... some JRTs are, many aren't)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Toller's scream. That's about the worst I can come up with. Then again high energy, less apt to be stranger friendly dogs are what I tend to like... I would love to have a toller one day. They're probably the only gundog breed I'd ever have.

Of course my list of dogs I like is really long so I don't know if I'll ever actually have one. But they're very neat dogs and very much the kind of breed I enjoy.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Just try me..

Ya..... lol that scream!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityKrazii View Post
You'd think, but some Tollers really are just snarky with other dogs. Dance is perfectly fine away from home with other dogs, but she hates other dogs coming to our house. Even ones she's known and seen often since I got her at 13 weeks. She's shown a bit of leash reactivity before as well, but I'm pretty sure that was stress induced as I've only seen her exhibit that behaviour twice in her life. She has zero tolerance for rude dogs, too (which is good, IMO). Another Toller I know, just as heavily socialized, is very dog reactive and has shown lots of aggressive tendencies toward them before as well. I think she's pretty extreme though, as DA is not something well known in the breed. DR is relatively common though.

In any case, Tollers do require a ton of socialization. Dance was socialized like you wouldn't believe & is still weird about people. She's extremely, extremely reserved now, but she was shy as a puppy. She sees no enjoyment in people she doesn't know well petting her. Once she gets to know you, she thinks you're great, but it does take a while. She also has a weird aversion to bags of any sort -- she's petrified of them. I have no idea why, and this fear just kind of appeared one day out of the blue. To my knowledge, she's never had a bad experience with a bag, but yet she has issues with them. Tollers are very quirky dogs. Spring is much more easy going about things. She likes people a lot, and there isn't much that worries her. Which is very surprising to me, considering that she wasn't socialized very well as a puppy. She just naturally has an easygoing, take what comes at her in stride personality.

I have to disagree that they need more training than other retrievers. No, they're certainly not your typical "what can I do to please you" Golden, but they're by no means difficult as long as you know how to deal with a somewhat selfish, "what's in it for me?" type of dog. One of my favourite things about the Toller is that most of them are thinkers and don't just do whatever you tell them to do for the sole sake that you told them to do it. They're very enthusiastic eager dogs -- you just need to know what motivates yours. They're supposed to be extremely intelligent too. Some are, some aren't. Dance is highly intelligent, but still doesn't really compare to my Toller/Border Collie I had, and Spring is lacking a brain, haha. Part of that is probably her age though, as she's just 15mths old.

Mine aren't overly energetic or unmanageable as many people believe the breed is. Part of that is they've been taught since I got them that I will not tolerate overly exciteable behaviours in the house. They're happy to do whatever I want to do when I want to do it. They sleep most of the day (by choice). I throw the ball for them in the house if they bring it to me, but they aren't obsessive about it. They get about 45mins of physical exercise a day, by way of a leashed walk or a run in the park usually. That's all they want/need, but if you want them to keep going, they'll have no qualms about that. Most of the Tollers are sat for in April (roughly 12 of them) were the same way. You can definitely get more energetic, always on the go Tollers. Mine are about average I think. Nice and easy to live with, but still have plenty of energy. But yeah, definitely don't expect a dog with the energy and intelligence level of a Border Collie (which is a breed they're often compared to for some reason). Many come close, but not quite.

They are a pretty vocal breed. My girls feel everything needs to be announced, especially Dance, but they usually are quiet when I tell them to be. They aren't nuisance barkers by any means, though. And as was pointed out, they can scream. But only when overly excited in most cases.

Here's the top ten reasons not to get a Toller list, full of pretty good info: Tollers: Top Ten Reasons NOT to Get a Toller

I've left out plenty of information I'm sure, so if you want to know anything else, just let me know! They're certainly a fun breed, and probably the only sporting breed I'll ever have.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 06-03-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Addicted to Agility

Thank you very much for the awesome posts I appreciate it!

I understand now what you mean about the dog agression/reactivity, just depends on the specific dog, I'm sure haveing parents that werent that would would help the pup not being that way but I'm sure its not guarentee.

That scream sounds interesting haha, I'm used to barkey dogs and as long as I am able to tell them to stop(once properly trained) I really dont mind. I actually think that screm is kinda cute, after reading on the site Toller_08 provided it said it was more an excitment thing which I dont have an issue with. My lab already does his own version haha.

I have a thing for Border Collies and will probably own one in the future so I'm sure I would have no problem with a tollers energy, I love energetic dogs!

The only thing that worries me is the DA/DR, I might be apt for an adult rescue Toller, that way I would know how it is with other dogs, instead of getting a pup and despite socilization I find I have a DA or DR Toller.

"If you give a Toller an inch, they will take a mile and come back for another. "
That explains my Lab to a T, so I'm totally used to that and know how to deal with it.

Also do Tollers tend to be super sensitive or do they bounce back quickly, like after proper socilization lets say something just spooks them, are they the kind of dog to be scared of that forever untill desisitizing them to it or do they just bounce back and investigate what just happened or does it depend on the dog and where it came from?

Thanks again!!

www.rushtotug.com