Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I just want to say - be careful what you wish for! As my trainer friend says, "Dumb dogs take two weeks to learn a simple behavior; smart dogs take two days to learn the behavior, and then spend the next 30 days trying to figure out a better way to do it." Smart dogs are easier to train, yes, but they also can figure out how to get the treats no matter WHERE you put them; how to break out of their crate; how to chew on your favorite shoes ONLY when you're not watching. I worked with a GSD once who, I swear, was smarter than I am. If she wanted to do something she would figure out how to manipulate me to get to do it, I don't know how she did it most of the time but I do know she was very good at it!

I'm a professional trainer, and trust me, when I get my next pet dog, I do NOT want a smart dog!

And corgis are known for their creativity. They have the intelligence that's typical of herding breeds. They also have that spitz independence.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Active Pup

The more I learn -- the less I know.

Maybe a corgi/bassett mix puppy isn't the perfect blend. Maybe an older dog would be a better choice. Of course the kids mom says "puppy"
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Older dogs of any breed or mix or purebred pups from GOOD breeders have the benefit of predictability (one of the biggest reasons I don't like people breeding mixes, who knows what you'll get, unless the puppy buyers are open to many traits (all traits of both breeds) you may end up with very poor matches between pup and owner). Getting a purebred from a bad breeder provides just as little predictability as getting a mixed pup, the breeder would have done nothing to prove their dogs are good examples in look and temperament of their breed. Good breeders do this through showing, temperament tests and dog sports.

If you want to go the adult route find a 2-3 year old or older, at that point they are pretty much stabilized in the temperament department. Then you can be pretty sure of what you are getting, maybe even more so than getting a well bred purebred. To up the odds even more of getting what you ant going to a rescue who fosters out the dogs can help by showing you how the dog acts in a home environment as some dogs act differently in a house than they would in a shelter.

check out Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!