Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Big Dog

I found the dog on cragislist, the woman wanted to meet me that day - she wanted the $100 up front if I wanted to meet the dog THAT day. I told her I didn't have $100 laying around my house, and that if she wanted it I'd have to run by the bank either the next day or later that week as I don't keep money around the house. So we started talking, and she said that'd she'd be willing to throw the fee altogether when she was talking to me. All I said in my PM was that I wasn't sure if you'd read the post again, I do have money saved up but due to the thefts around my area we don't keep much of value here at our apartment. I was a bit offended that you implied I would be looking for a dog if I didn't have money at all, I wouldn't be.

Hope that clears up any questions

Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

Paper, Welcome to Chaz

That being said, your responses are coming off as really defensive. Please keep in mind that we are here to offer our opinions based on the information you've provided, and that you've ASKED for them. Not necessarily in this thread, but others.

Our number one concern in a rescue situation is the dog, so please, don't feel like we are attacking you for your views. All of us, including you, have seen the dogs that are forgotten, abused, and tossed out on the curb just for being themselves, and this goes for their breed as well as their individual personality. When you are picking a dog, breed should play a major factor - personality is a huge factor, but breed tendencies (that can NOT be trained out, especially in purebreds) should also be kept in mind.

It sounds like you've got time and a home for a second dog, so I wish you luck! Please don't be afraid to keep asking questions and doing your research.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Lord Cynical

Yes, that clears things up a bit.

Please understand that you're new, and we don't know you very well. As someone in the rescue world, you probably know how many hundreds, thousands of people in this world who look for dogs and get dogs before they're ready.

And as someone who has been on this forum for years, I can tell you that we've had many, many, many posters (new AND longstanding members) who have jumped into getting multiple dogs without having the resources to do it right.

When I hear hoofbeats, I think horses, not zebras. Unfortunately.
When you

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlerubyallie View Post
Paper, Welcome to Chaz

That being said, your responses are coming off as really defensive. Please keep in mind that we are here to offer our opinions based on the information you've provided, and that you've ASKED for them. Not necessarily in this thread, but others.

Our number one concern in a rescue situation is the dog, so please, don't feel like we are attacking you for your views. All of us, including you, have seen the dogs that are forgotten, abused, and tossed out on the curb just for being themselves, and this goes for their breed as well as their individual personality. When you are picking a dog, breed should play a major factor - personality is a huge factor, but breed tendencies (that can NOT be trained out, especially in purebreds) should also be kept in mind.

It sounds like you've got time and a home for a second dog, so I wish you luck! Please don't be afraid to keep asking questions and doing your research.

Indeed, I was merely kind of offended that she would think I would look for a dog if I didn't have money. I wouldn't have bothered but I told the woman in the original e-mail I wouldn't have the money on me today (my husband works we have one car, so I cannot drive to the bank until he gets home) We add to the amount of money we have each paycheck, and I understand the whole rescue thing as well - I've been there fostering. I do weekly trails, if it doesn't work out I do return the dog to their owner/rescue/shelter as I don't feel it is fair for me to just toss it aside. I return it to them so they can seek out a better home. I will keep all opinions in mind though.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I think you need to just take a breath, relax, and not take everyone's reply to you in a defensive manner. Sizzle's post was extremely polite, and was only going by what you stated in the original posts. She wasn't making assumptions, or even being remotely rude. She also gave you advice about rescues, in which I replied in agreement, and even told you about rescues that may let you interact with fosters to see if one is a right fit for you.

I think you need to quit finding offense to everything posted, you've done it *several* times, when members here are only trying to offer the advice that you ask for.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
I think you need to just take a breath, relax, and not take everyone's reply to you in a defensive manner. Sizzle's post was extremely polite, and was only going by what you stated in the original posts. She wasn't making assumptions, or even being remotely rude. She also gave you advice about rescues, in which I replied in agreement, and even told you about rescues that may let you interact with fosters to see if one is a right fit for you.

I think you need to quit finding offense to everything posted, you've done it *several* times, when members here are only trying to offer the advice that you ask for.
I never said it was rude, I was offended by the fact she would think I'd go out and get a dog I cannot afford. Now that everyone is on the same page, which it was my fault I didn't add on the information needed not to make the assumption, I feel that we are seeing eye-to-eye. I would hope people wouldn't think of me as a person who just gets a dog to "have a dog" and as a person who gives a dog a loving home. Opinions are fine, assumptions however are not. She did assume I didn't have money for the dog, so therefore it is an assumption.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Yes, that clears things up a bit.

Please understand that you're new, and we don't know you very well. As someone in the rescue world, you probably know how many hundreds, thousands of people in this world who look for dogs and get dogs before they're ready.

And as someone who has been on this forum for years, I can tell you that we've had many, many, many posters (new AND longstanding members) who have jumped into getting multiple dogs without having the resources to do it right.

When I hear hoofbeats, I think horses, not zebras. Unfortunately.
When you
I understand, I apologize for not putting the information in the original post I just didn't think people would read that much into that. Thank you for your information on rescues, I appreciate it
Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Quote:
I never said it was rude, I was offended by the fact she would think I'd go out and get a dog I cannot afford.
But... she doesn't know you. No one does, you've only been here a few days. She, and anyone else reading, can only go by what you post. Just so you know.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
But... she doesn't know you. No one does, you've only been here a few days. She, and anyone else reading, can only go by what you post. Just so you know.
AND I realize that now, when I posted it I didn't think it would be looked at in that light. I, however, had all the facts where you all did not. Now that I see how it could be read differently, I apologize for not adding the information to begin with and leading people to make assumptions.

I was wrong for becoming so defensive, for some reason it comes naturally.

Last edited by Paper-Hearts; 05-06-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

WEll i kept PEpper and i have no money. I never pretended like i could afford her. I said i shouldn't from the beginning. No one would take her. SHe had such awful behaviors i don't know who else woudl dare to follow her in the car by the hour. IT was awful .But i made cut backs. I miss my creme rinse, and nice fabric softener sheets and a dozen other luxeries. I had to ask my mother (i am 48 i know) because if there was an accident, i do not have credit cards nor could i afford one. SHe said to just keep doing what i am doing and that was training her. I have taken every day seriously in trying to make this dog the best dog ever for someone incase i do not beat my illness which is a possibility. THere are a qausizillion people out there doing exactly the same thing especially in this economy. I have given a dog up that was then abused and i know that if i had just toughed it out, we would have been ok. He died. IT's all hard no matter how you look at it. BUt if you say something like you don't have a hundred dollars to throw around you have to expect some flack.

I know i have been good for PEpper. I helped her learn to trust again. I taught her about cars and about staying in the yard and how behaving is far more exciting then being on her own. That cannot be a bad thing.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,