Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Default Spaying/Neutering

Just wondering what the general Chazzer opinion is on this. How long do you wait before you spay/neuter your dogs? Why? Resources to back up your arguments would be much appreciated.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

I beleive at the very earliest it should be at 6 months. But I prefer to wait until about 15 months if not later. Just so growth plates can develop and the dog can fill out some.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm All Ears

I've never spayed or neutered a dog before the age of 2 just to make sure they're full grown and mature. We typically keep males intact and have only had one neutered male (Trey) but all our females have been spayed eventually. I wish we hadn't spayed Nikki, we waited till she was old and I don't think she benefited from it. The rest have been spayed for convenience's sake. (Mess is a major factor plus with Rose we owned her intact brother and we wanted NO chance of an oops there) Of course, that's just for my own personal dogs. There's a lot of factors to weigh.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Just try me..

The earliest I would do is maturity (depends on breed) My fave article http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf good references...
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I pretty much wait until there's a reason to do it.

Ares was neutered at a year and a half because of behavioral issues and because I was new and didn't know any other way to deal with it.

Morgan was spayed at about 5 years because of a hormone imbalance that caused her heat cycles to be increasingly uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't believe in putting a dog through major surgery and removing internal organs. And organs that effect the hormonal system, which does do more than just reproduction.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Most of mine were already adults and seniors when I had them done. Audubon was done very early, I can't remember how early, but I think it was like 10 or 12 weeks, now that I think about it. We got her from a rescue (this was 8 years ago) and it was a requirement. I don't think we were able to wait till 6 months...

Triumph was done at around 10 months or so.

Gage is the only puppy in the house, and he just turned 6 months awhile back. And I plan on neutering him within the next month or so. I was going to do it earlier, but he was so tiny, I really wanted to let him get bigger and grow up some more. It'll probably be closer to 7-8 months when he gets neutered.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
~Lisa~

Honestly. I dont bother. I *personally* believe if you can easily handle a intact male with no chance of a oops or any issues, why bother with a un needed surery. testicular cancer is about a 1% chance of happeneing, while neutering in creases other issues. Females I would have done. to be honest I just dont ever want to deal with the mess again. Our old collie was never spayed, and it IMO was just gross, she was a heavy bleeder and a mess was every where. If I had the chocie she would have been done, but I was to young to make the choice.Blaze isnt, and will not be. He has a heart murmur that seems to be increasing (now at stage 2-3) and I dont want to risk it for a unneeded surgery IMO. he is a wonderful dog, extremly obident, not rude or domenating to other dogs, goes with the flow type of guy, no marking or humping issues. Which I dont think helps much any way, balls or none its in training IMO.

i dont think a dog should be done before atleast a year IMO. Im sure most of my future dogs will come from either outstanding breeders or rescues, where I will have no choice but to spay or netuer, which is..alright by me, if I had it my way I wouldnt bother. But I do understand why it is done with breeders nd rescues.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Big Dog

6 months, but that is just my opinion and I come from a family very keen on spaying/neutering animals.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Twin 2.0

I will wait until 6 months at the bare minimum but I prefer to be able to leave my dogs intact until maturity if possible. Like someone mentioned above, growth hormones do so much more than just grant the ability to reproduce and I want my dogs to mature into what they're supposed to be, not some shadow of it. Females I'll probably have done around 2, depending on heat cycles and males...dunno. I feel pretty confident in my ability to properly contain an intact dog.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Salty Sea Dog

for me it depends on the individual dog, breed, living situation ect.

i like to wait till the dog finishes phyiscally maturing, for most medium-large breed this is anything from 8mths-1 1/2 yrs...
for giant breeds i wholeheartedly encorage leaving them intact untill they have comepletly done growing which can be 2-3 yrs,
for toy breeds 6-8 months if fine for physical development but size plays a part so tiny dogs should realy wait for saftey.

i think the majority of the "average pet owners" (im not talking people who do their reaserch, most chaz members ect, those people are not the "average" pet owner...im talking about pet owners that will leave an intact female in heat in the yard unsupervised...or refuses to neuter "butch" because itll make him "less manly"
or mr and mrs smith down the street who think its a great idea to bread fluffy their poodle to the neighbors lab...
THOSE people should spay/neuter at 6-8 months of age...

but if you can do it responsibly and its not effecting the animals health i see no problem with keeping an intact animals...

i DO however worry about keeping adult males intact if there not to be used for breeding as it can cause prostate issues.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets