Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Default Question for Mutt owners......

Mutt owners do you call your dogs the full breeds they are followed by Mix

Or do you call them one of those cutesie made up names?

Normally I call my mutt a Jack Russell Mix but I'll be honest there are times I have called her a Jack Chi or a Chiackador (I made that one upas a joke it made people double back and gave them a good laugh and then I went on to tell her story...being on death row by age 6 weeks and how lucky we were to adopt her, back when I thought she was a lab, jack russell, chi mix)

My grandparents have a Bichon Friese/poodle mix and at times I'll admit I've called her a Bich-poo.

Anyways normally I call them the full breed followed by mix but at the same time sometimes i catch myself (I try not to say those cutesie names because I don't agree with breeding of designer dogs but I slip sometimes)

What do you do?

Last edited by lostshowfan86; 04-23-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm on a boat..

I always call them by whatever mix they are, if known. If not, I just say mix. I refuse to use a cutsie name. Ginger's former owner wrote down 'poochi' most of the time, where I refuse to do that and instead call her a poodle/chihuahua mix. Or just poodle mix if I'm in a hurry
Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

If its there is a very prominent breed or 2 in the mix, ill say "dalmation mix" or w/e it is
otherwise i just say mix.. making up cutesy breed names encourages the crazy designer dog breeders
Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
just call me Nilly

I have no idea what Sierra is a mix of so I just call her a Mutt, or a Canadian Bitzahound (Or as Drmom came up with and is in my sig, a Petit Basset English Coonhound)

Snowpuff, my childhood dog, was a "malti-poo". I called him that until very recently (not because I thought it was a breed, simply because that's what he had been called when we got him and it stuck). Now that I know better I refer to him as a maltese mix.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

I called Max a Shar-Pei/Lab/Great Dane/Pit bull we think mix I KNEW he had Shar-Pei in him so I could have said Shar-Pei mix but he acted nothing like a Shar-Pei so it seemed like I was favoring the wrong breed in his mix, so I just said all the guesses I've had on him.

I will never ever call any mix a designer dog name because I feel that many people see that as acknowledging them as actual breeds of dogs, which they are not, they are mutts and should never be considered a breed of dog. I don't refer to dogs whose owners call them by designer names as those designer names, if it's a Puggle according to the owner I will always address it as a pug mix or pug/beagle mix.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 PM

I call Sophie a Labradoodle. Used to feel funny about it but that's what she is.
Trust me, whenever I have said lab/poodle, people will always correct me with..."oh, you mean a Labradoodle".

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Lucy's such a mix, I have no idea what she is. When people ask, I say she's a mutt, possibly an aussie-border collie-chow-spaniel?

Honestly, I don't see a problem with the cute mix names. (With the people who over breed them? Yes. With the names though? No.) My aunt has two cockapoos, and our friends have a golden doodle. That's what they are, so I'll call 'em that.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Most people think that Jack is an adolescent Lab and always comment on how cute my Black Lab puppy is...

Sometimes I call him a Beaglador, but I ususually just say that he's a Lab mix.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Navy Sister

I don't like the designer names. Some people think they're cute, I think they're obnoxious.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

Ollie in petfinder was Golden/poodle . I've never seen poodle ... more Cheesie .... He's my 1/2 Golden other 1/2 love !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/