Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Boxer - Origin: Germany - medium-sized, short coat, athletic, lean and muscular (if you exercise them that is ), very playful, loyal to the owner and very attached, intelligent, versatile, great family dogs, protective, and do not bark a lot. No downsides but I own one, so I am biased.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Fila Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Fila. There is nothing about this breed I don't adore. Their downright eerie intelligence, ability to reason and adapt, the scheming, stealth, athleticism, determination, strength, feline agility, the "off" switch when they morph into lounge dogs, the beautiful lion gait and stalking, their vocalizations, their intense love and loyalty, gentleness and ferocity, warped sense of humor, ego, their attention to detail, their suspicion at anything out of the ordinary, sense of drama, the fact that they could survive and even thrive without our assistance, but they CHOOSE to live with us, that they aren't completely domesticated, that they are fierce, but not savage and have the concept of "sufficient force," oh, just everything about them.

What Renee said.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Danes:
Love the fact that they are big imposing dogs, but they are generally a friendly breed (with exceptions of course). They love to cuddle, don't have to worry about squashing em' Love their body type, I find them a very attractive dog. Love that they are protective without taking it too far/being too much for me to handle. Example, Filas are amazing but too much dog for me right now.

Don't like the staggering amount of health problems they have, specifically GDV/Torsion, and the cost of preventative surgery just to make sure your dog isn't the 1 of 4 that dies from it. Don't like the lack of education and knowledge on the breed, people who buy before knowing what they're getting into health-wise, and myriad of bad breeders.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Active Pup

Olde English Bulldogges

It is a modern re-creation of the bullbaiting dog of the Regency Period in England (1810-1820's). A friendly, outgoing breed that does not show many of the health problems of the modern Bulldog. They are an extremely strong dog and can be stubborn so socialization and obedience training are a must.

Pros - A helathy alternative to the Bulldog. An excellent loyal family dog. Excells in many dog sports - weight pulling, protection, therapy and several others. Breaths well. Can be bred and can whelp naturally. Tolerant of hight temps. No drooling - or hardly any! A fierce defender of it's property and family.

Cons - Can be very stubborn. Some have a very high prey drive. One must also be careful in choosing a breeder as some still breed in the foundation breeds (Bulldog, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bulldog and Bullmatiff) if you are wanting a generational dog choose your breeder wisely and study the bloodline. Loves to chew and can shred most toys in a matter of seconds.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM
FluffyZooCrew

Beagles

Things I love about them: they are outgoing, energetic, playful and always full of antics. They love their humans and love everyone they meet. They can race around at top speed playing for hours, and then come inside and be the best lap snuggling, movie night buddy you can ask for. I also find them intelligent, though maybe that's just mine, because the breed CAN be stubborn typically. I just love everything about them.

Things I'm not so crazy over in the breed: They are diggers. And while mine don't dig under fences or anything like that, towards the back of our property is their 'digging' area. We leave it alone, as long as they don't any new holes and just play in the ones they have made. Yes, they lovvveee to dig.

Also, they are scent hounds, so they can't be let off leash. Though Bo has a perfect 100% recall, he is still never let off leash. You never know when they'll follow their noses to more rabbit filled pastures.

Other than that, that's it. I LOVE beagles, and will always have at least one.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Your Mom

Pops there are two very distinctive types of Alapahas: Mine, which were bred for health and performance, and the ones you are describing which were bred for looks and money.

It is very similar to the difference between a game-bred APBT and the 100+ pound "pit bulls" that are being sold for $2500+ each.

If you're ever up in Maine let me know as I'd love to introduce you to the REAL Alapaha . . . which unfortunately isn't nearly as abundant as the mutts that you described.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Dalmatian. Pros: They make great family dogs, generally get along great with others. Excellent watch dogs nothing gets by them, they notice ALL changes to their house and neighborhood. They have the energy to keep up with an active family. But can switch it off to snuggle on the couch during movie time. Very smart sometimes too much so.

Cons: the health problems that can occur. They can be terribly stubborn at times. And once their mid is made up about something/someone you are not going to get them to change their mind. The hair. There is a saying in dals, they shed 24/7 365 days a year. And they seem to beable to put the opposite color of hair on your pants than your wearing.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

Sis
what a funny coincidence, after i retire from the Marines, my DW & I are looking at Maine as a possible place to settle. it meets her criteria of snow & mountains AND mine of over the counter bear hunting tags. i've really liked the people i've met in Bangor when returning from the sandbox.
it's sad that your dogs are the exception for the breed instead of the norm. maybe if enough good people buy into it and work in that direction it'll be the next anatolian success story.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Quote:
The hair. There is a saying in dals, they shed 24/7 365 days a year. And they seem to beable to put the opposite color of hair on your pants than your wearing.
*Nods uncontrollably*

Audubon is half dalmation, and OMG THE HAIR!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Sis
what a funny coincidence, after i retire from the Marines, my DW & I are looking at Maine as a possible place to settle. it meets her criteria of snow & mountains AND mine of over the counter bear hunting tags. i've really liked the people i've met in Bangor when returning from the sandbox.
it's sad that your dogs are the exception for the breed instead of the norm. maybe if enough good people buy into it and work in that direction it'll be the next anatolian success story.
Well let me know when you're up here! I'm still in MA as of now, though hope to be in Maine within the year, and all of my Alapaha boys are in Maine! It's such a great place I can't wait to move!

The sad part is that my dogs WERE the norm before millers and peddlers stepped in. The guys with these lines do carefully planned breedings, often times with a good lag time between breedings . . . whereas the "others" have numerous litters a year and will sell to anyone and everyone. That's why this type isn't as well known, even though we're straight from Lana's yard (the founder), and IMHO the TRUE Alapaha. It always saddens me how much money talks when it comes to dogs . . .

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"