Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Default Big problem

Murray turned on me today. I am shocked. We've had him for 2 months now and he has been a great dog (came from a shelter, approx 3 year old collie mix). He has some really annoying habits like stealing the other animal's food. Today, I was constantly scolding him for eating out of Bear's and the cat's food bowls. He knows he is not supposed to. Well, I kind of got fed up, because I was trying to get my elderly cat to eat, and I made her some special food. I turned my back for a moment, and Murray was eating it. I yelled at him and swatted him lightly on the behind. He LUNGED at me, teeth bared and bit at me several times up and down my arms. It did not break the skin. He was growling and sounded quite ferocious. It really scared me. After the incident, I could tell he felt bad. My son yelled at him and made him go outside. He is still out there. What should I do? I've never had a dog of mine do this before. I know I probably scared him, but still.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:03 PM
no touchy

I would start NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) with him. If he wants something (attention, food, leash put on to go on a walk, etc.) he has to sit or lay down. That way he realise he has to work for you to get what he wants and that only when he does something for you does he get what he wants.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

He could have had a back flash of his former owner ....sit quietly with him and love on him...... let us know !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Not that he should have done that but maybe put the food somewhere else so he cna't get it. I'd never expect my dog to leave the cats food alone. It might be confusing him that the food is there yet he isn't supposd to eat it. It might just be giving him issues with the food.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-20-2005, 01:13 PM
chowchow

I put the cat food up out of reach of the dogs. They cant resist the cat food or the literbox!
Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I W A L R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
He could have had a back flash of his former owner ....sit quietly with him and love on him...... let us know !!!
yes...he might of had a flashback from his origional owner...and it is a good idea to sit quietly with him and love him!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Felurian

I'd say all of the above is good advice, Irish. That sounds like it was a fear reaction, but he obviously didn't want to hurt you since he didn't. And a little quiet talk time wouldn't hurt either.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
I'd say all of the above is good advice, Irish. That sounds like it was a fear reaction, but he obviously didn't want to hurt you since he didn't. And a little quiet talk time wouldn't hurt either.
I agree with Renee750il.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Yes, it sounds like you need to work on his trust. Was he a stray where you don't know his background? I'd keep him from situations where this could arise again. Like, partition off the "special foods" areas where he isn't tempted. And LOVE on him and gain his trust...
Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Thanks everyone, everything you said makes perfect sense. Bubba, I wondered that too, if his past owner had maybe hit him and attacking back was his only defense? He was found as a stray, so who knows what happened to him before? Yes, I will love on him now, he seems to really need it. And I suppose I could find a way to keep him away from the cats food, its just that he takes Bear's too and he we've always trained our dogs to eat out of their bowls only. I guess he needs more work, but I'm more than willing to do it, he really is a good dog. I guess I should go have a talk with him now, we haven't "spoken" since the incident. Thanks again.