Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

That is why we should always make sure to educate people about puppy mills and why not to purchase a dog from a pet shop or a BYB breeder. Alot of people don't even know what a puppy mill is. My parents didn't! At least not until I learned about it a few years back and informed them. Those BYB breeders and puppy mill farms do a great job at keeping themselves hidden from the public. That's why we have to let people know where these dogs are coming from.

I know there's a puppymill webside for Ontario (I'm sure every province and state has SOMETHING similar though). The website contains great information and has dates for when people meet up in front of a pet shop and do a demonstration, hand out flyers about puppy mills, and so on. Its a great idea and something some of you might want to plan.

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/the..._shop_pups.htm
Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Great Information!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Dog Artist

That was pretty helpful info. Pet stores really should be held acounted for alot of negect and abuse they cause. Shelters are the best idea. Adopt! adopt! adopt!
My two pups are adopted and they are the super best friends in the world.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

i know im not in your part of the world but the same applies over here. i breed jack rusells, not a big time breeder just 2 litters so far, third coming soon, all my dogs go through a 5* health check before they have pups and all pups are checked as soon as possible. i do vet checks and house checks on everyone interested and they are welcome to come to my house as often as they like to spend time with the pups, meet mum dad and grandparents, my website is www.freewebs.com/hollybo

Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I bought my puppy from a breeder, who was probably not very good. We met with them once to see if we liked the puppy that we bought. We met them at a park a few minutes away from their home. They brought with them our puppy and the puppy's mother. Our puppy was really skinny, which they told us that since they fed the dogs three at a time he usually got the least amount of food because he was so docile and didn't want to fight. He also had a really bad dandruff problem (which went away right away when we gave him a bath). All around he is a healthy dog though just had a rough patch with them. I'm glad we got him he is the sweetest most funniest dog you will meet. I think that the breeders had really good intentions and wanted to do the right thing for the puppies.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassetLover**
i know im not in your part of the world but the same applies over here. i breed jack rusells, not a big time breeder just 2 litters so far, third coming soon, all my dogs go through a 5* health check before they have pups and all pups are checked as soon as possible. i do vet checks and house checks on everyone interested and they are welcome to come to my house as often as they like to spend time with the pups, meet mum dad and grandparents, my website is www.freewebs.com/hollybo
A Scots JRT! I like that. My sister's JRT, Braec, came from Ireland, and there is so much difference between Braec and the JRTs I see around here. Mostly people have gone to the long-legged, non-workiing line here. The AKC has dubbed them "Parson Russell Terriers" to differentiate them from the old fashioned shorts. Braec's got the true Terrier temperament, which I'm seeing less and less of as they become more popular.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-27-2005, 04:50 AM
Top Dog

This site give you a look into what puppy mills can be likePUPPY MILL

Mo
Old 03-27-2005, 04:52 AM
Top Dog

And this is an interview with a puppy farmerinterview of puppy farmer

Mo
Old 05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Active Pup

hey can you post this on my new forum huskydogbeds.com/forum. thank you
Old 06-12-2005, 10:33 AM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy722
You should be extremely careful if your buying any t-cup babies because often breeders would lie about their age making you think that they are very light and they'll get away with charging you over $1000 for a pup. Another thing to look for is to see their parent's. I know alot of them only have the mom but I would prefer buying from someone that have both parents on site. You just get a better feeling on how they look like when they get older and temperant.
And also paper work on all the shots and if records that their tails are dock. Some breeder will tell you that their tells are dock but they aren't.
Yeah, I think just getting a t-cup is a risky thing in itself as alot of t-cup breeders are just doing it for the money.

As far as the parents go, in general, its doesn't necessrely mean the breeder is bad if they don't have both parents on site. Some breeders only own the dam and found a stud for service. Others may have co-owned the sire and he is away finnishing he championship. While still others own both and the sire is away in show or preparing for it. Those are all exceptable reasons to not have the sire on site. But if it isn't any of those reasons and he just isn't there and the breeder doesn't have a copy of his pedigree and pictures to show of him/won't tell you about his personality then beware.