Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-30-2004, 03:08 AM
Active Pup

Bull Mastiff
Rotties
Dobies
weimeruners
bull breeds
Belgian Malinois
hopes this helps
Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

All the attributes of various breeds won't do you one bit of good if you aren't experienced with dogs. I would suggest learning a whole lot more first. Your comment about GSDs and some other aspects of your post made me think that you are perhaps new to dogs. Any of these protection dogs would be dangerous to you, to others and a menace if not handled with knowledgeable care and expert- like training.

I would suggest an electronic alarm system and self defence course or a 38 caliber. Often the bad guys have guns anyhow and can kill your dog. A dog's protectiveness should not be the main reason to own such a dog. There's a lot more to it than just choosing a breed. Please do your research and plenty of mentoring with someone who has such a breed before going out and just getting some guard dog. It could cause you heartache down the road.

Good luck in your investigating of all this.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Island dweller

Did you just recommend that someone get a gun?

Wow.

Where's the smiley that I need... got it.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Why? Is that person not an adult? Woops. I wouldn't recommend one if that's a child. But yes....why not? I keep one for protection and have shot guns since I was a kid. My Dad took me to the shooting range every weekend and we shot targets, clay pigeons, members of the NRA and a local gun club. It was a lot of fun. So, yes, as long as someone knows how to use it, is comfortable with it and is an American where we have the right to keep and bear arms...why not?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Island dweller

Well, I don't know where the poster is from. Not everyone on this forum is from the U.S., remember. And I don't know the age. Although, she seems to be independent enough to get a dog on her own so I'm guessing she's old enough.

There are plenty of people who don't believe that guns are the key to self-protection.

Say it, if you will, and I will continue to be surprised.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
There are plenty of people who don't believe that guns are the key to self-protection.
Yes, and American or not I am one of those people.
Guns or attack dogs for that matter

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Well, I hope you two don't get your home broken into and attacked some day by a rapist/killer with a knife with nothing to defend yourselves with. If you were, you might decide that guns are very effective for self protection.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Felurian

Guns are fine for sane, stable people who keep them inaccessible to anyone inappropriate.

They are also a very real reason many homes are broken into, and very few normal people truly have the stomach to shoot anyone, even in fear, and fewer still have the nerves to be calm enough to effectively use a gun in a home invasion/attack situation.

Not being pro-gun or anti-gun ownership, my bottom line has always been that you can't shoot me with my own dog. And it doesn't take an attack trained dog to protect home and family. It's harder to shoot a dog coming at you out of the shadows than you'd imagine, too. I've listened to a few talk about how they panicked upon hearing a snarling dog approaching; it seems to evoke a very primal fear in us. Inside every dog, somewhere deep, burns the flame of the wolf and we know this on a very primitive level - deep inside.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Well, I hope you two don't get your home broken into and attacked some day by a rapist/killer with a knife with nothing to defend yourselves with. If you were, you might decide that guns are very effective for self protection.
Thank goodness for my self-defence training and keen ability to think quickly. Not to mention the little bit of crazy hiding inside. LOL

Do you sleep with your gun?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Island dweller

I think I've mentioned this before but Mikey my something bully crossed with something else has proven to me that he would protect me. I sleep a lot easier when my bf is away now that I have him.

He seems to know the difference too. When bf is gone Mikey gets to be the "man" of the house. He takes total responsibility and sleeps quite lightly compared to the death-like state he's normally in. If he hears a rustling or anyother odd sound he gives a low woof while running down the hall, explores the house and with another low woof goes back to sleep. I was having problems with my neighbours a few months ago and my bf was working in another province. I truly appreciated having him there at that time. I'm more afraid of him getting shot out here in bear country than I am of him being shot in my home. Seems kind of ridiculous. Some dummy comes into my house, in the dark, fumbles around hears a growl and ... Can't see it. sure it's possible. Anything is but not likely.