Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Active Pup

Question Defence Dog

We have moved into a new neighborhood and we've heard about mugging
and i was followed yesterday by two pervs the idea was proposed for me to
by a dog , i have no opinion about the dogs size but i need a well trained do
or one i can train for attacking at certain commands, thanks in advance

,samantha
Old 09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Active Pup

sorry forgot a part i heard a lot about german shepherds but are they too dangerous and will attack any people that run from it ??
Old 09-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Active Pup

German Shepherds are excellent watch and guard dogs. They are suspicious of strangers they haven't been introduced to, yet are the most loyal, devoted breed to their family that I know of. Just get one with a good temperament - not a fear biter, or one that is overly aggressive. The dog needs also to be a part of your family - not treated like a protection dog that is never loved and brought inside. They thrive on family life and will protect you with their lives. Keep in mind that a dog is a HUGE responsibility, and needs REGULAR feeding, watering, walks, play, vet visits, etc. Dog ownership is NOT to be taken lightly! For the next 10-15 years, he will depend on you for everything. If you aren
t willing to do that, get some pepper spray and an alarm system for your house.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Felurian

I've had GSDs since I was 12 years old. I've had purebreds, and I've had mixes; I've raised two from puppyhood (the first one, Purdue, and Bimmer, the GSD/wolf mix I have now) and all but Purdue were rescues. Bear, who became a certified therapy dog, was a GSD/Akita mix and was one of the most intelligent and formidable creatures ever; he also knew his business and I knew I was utterly safe with Bear. If we heard something, no matter how late it was, he and I would just go out and see what was up.

There's something special about the rescues. They understand what you've done for them, and, when you adopt a more adult dog, you have a very good idea of the temperament from the beginning. Breed specific rescues are generally an excellent way to find a good dog that suits your personality and situation. Most rescue organizations not only check out their dogs, but take care to match them to appropriate homes.

You don't need an attack dog. Trained guard and attack dogs are only for specific situations and highly experienced, well trained owners. A fearful owner is absolutely the most dangerous owner for a trained guard dog. The dog will react to your fear, and the results could be tragic; not that it will turn on you, but your fearfulness can cause the dog to react far too strongly in the wrong situation.

Any well adjusted, well loved dog is going to protect you. A dog that is well trained in the basic commands is going to be a dog that you can handle in almost any situation, provided you have participated in the training.

In your situation, I would strongly caution you not to pick a breed like the Rottweiler, Doberman, or anything resembling a Pit Bull or American Staffordshire Terrier. That's going to draw the kind of attention you DON'T want especially that of the very punks and thugs you're afraid of.

I'll also recommend that you take some self defense classes. They will give you more confidence and make you feel like less of a potential victim; an attitude which will also communicate itself to whatever dog you eventually bond with.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Are you dead yet?

Like Renee suggested, it would also be smart for YOU to take some self defense classes.

I would recommend a breed that doesn't LOOK like one of the breeds that the 'thugs' would like. That includes Dobermans, Rotties, GSD's, or "Bully Breeds". I've seen in so many cases, these dogs being stolen.

A surprisingly good guard dog is the Akita. They are usually politely aloof with strangers, big enough to intimidate a potential mugger, and serious enough to carry out a response to a threat, should one arise.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Felurian

You're right about the Akita, Grace, but they're definitely a dog for an experienced owner. They're quite large and are very dominant dogs. They can be a real handful and completely take over in the hands of a novice owner, or even a timid owner. Even Bear had the potential to be a real Genghis Khan in the wrong hands.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Active Pup

Nice suggestion (about the self defence lessons) , i already have a brown belt in shotokan karate BUT what will that do me against a group or someone with a weapon, anyway im ready for all the responsibilty but if i want the dog to be loyal how old should he be when i buy him ? thanks a lot everybody
Old 09-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Active Pup

but a kind of dog that looks like a one thugs would like would keep the danger away and not cause any injury right ??
Old 09-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Felurian

The self defense classes are for your self-confidence. There are classes taught in most urban areas that incorporate real world tactics to make you less of a target.

Any dog can cause injury. You want a dog that has good sense. As far as loyalty goes, the age of the dog isn't the issue; how you treat the dog and how you bond with the dog is the entire issue. The dog that will be the most loyal and protective of you is the dog that you are the most loyal and protective of. Bear was an awesome protector; people would comment that anyone who bothered me wouldn't have long to live. My answer was always, "if you hurt me, he'll give you 20 seconds. If you hurt him, I'll give you 10."

That's the kind of relationship that keeps you safe.

Back to the age issue: a puppy's not going to be any kind of protection until it's fully mature, at least two years old, unless it's a type of dog that absolutely requires experienced handling. Check out the local shelters and find your best friend.

Remember, the object is to stay OUT of a situation; not instigate one.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Felurian

Serena, you'll get a good giggle out of this: I used to walk Purdue, my first GSD, in the long plaza that ran down the middle of my street. We acquired a stalker at one point, a creep who would circle the plaza slowly in his car, over and over. He finally got brave enough to actually get out of his car one afternoon and made a rush for me. Purdue snarled once and made a lunge for him, just barely missing. What was so funny (besides the look on the guy's face) was where Purdue lunged . . . straight for his crotch! How appropriate is that? The only reason he didn't get the idiot was because I had a good hold on his leash. I never saw the car - or the guy - again! ROFL.