Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I love my boy friend

Default basenji

We are thinking of getting a basenji but i have NO idea on breeders. Can some one give me a few dog sites to find breeders on? I live in GA.
RIP Red my min pin
Leopard Gecko Gold & The Finch House[/SIZE]

Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

I'd check with the GA breed club .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

I'll see if I can find any online ones but with more rare breeds it may be difficult to find ones with websites, you might need to do as Grammy said and check with local breed clubs, country breed clubs etc.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Here are some breeders, I'll give my thoughts on them.

Sienna Basenjis
I like that they do conformation and lure coursing (maybe even more, I'm not the best at title abbreviations). they also screen for common genetic problems and tell the truth about them. What does worry me is that nearly all of their dogs are carriers for Fanconi. That in itself is not a huge problem, what you need to look at is who she breeds with who. Fanconi is recessive so no pups will have symptoms of Fanconi unless one or both parents had Fanconi (were "affected") or both parents carried (are "carriers") the disease. So if she is careful to only breed her carriers with Fanconi clear dogs everything is fine. If she breeds two carriers or a dog affected by it I would avoid her. She did neuter her one fanconi affected dog so that's good, she also neutered a dog too large for the breed, another good sign that she is trying to make predictable (so puppy buyers know what they are getting, if you want a Basenji you want a dog that looks and acts like a Basenji is supposed to) and healthy pups and is not just in it for money.
I'm not sure when the site was last updated though.
Website does not have a ton of info on the environment/raising of the pups, you'd have to ask about that.

Sherwood Basenjis
Love that they lure course, show (though not much in the way of show titles, most have lure coursing titles and for me that's just as good) and most dogs have Canine Good Citizen awards. They screen their dogs for common genetic problems including Fanconi. My only problems with them was breeding Bindi before she had titles and having multiple litters at once (although the litters were VERY small, I'm not sure if that's normally what happens with that breed and she knew they would be so tiny).

Those are the ones I've liked so far but I'll look some more.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Boxer Buddy

Well just ask her yourself....YodelDogs is here...and pretty sure that is Sherwood...

Personally LOVE Bindi, and though i prefer titled dogs, some aren't and worthy of being bred...

GOod luck in your search!

S

Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

LOL I didn't even realize she was on here, I do remember the member, just didn't realize that she was this breeder.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I have sent Yodeldogs a PM in regard to this poster, I am sure she will be in touch.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Twin 2.0

I'd ask YodelDogs first, since she's obviously a first source. Otherwise, I can ask my former trainer where she got her dog, Teegan. Also, depends on what you want the dog for. They started off as hunting dogs, but since being imported to the US, many lines have softened that trait in favor of breeding for increased biddability. My trainer's dog is a 4th gen show-line dog.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

I would go with Sherwood (AKA YodelDogs). Beautiful dogs. I love Bindi. Yodel is very willing to talk Basenjis.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Hi guys! Yes I am Sherwood Basenjis and many of the members of this forum have known me for years.

Kagome100 shoot me a PM or an email and I'll be more than happy to talk with you. I do love to talk about my chosen breed, sometimes maybe a little bit too much.