Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Yay heard from the pap breeder :) and ?s for papillion owners

I got a call from the breeder, but missed her call ya i wanted to shoot myself lol Well she seemed really nice, she was sick and she has shows this weekend but I get to call her on monday
Since ill be ready for the new addition in august, she says she might have a couple of little girls available

For those who dont know, im adopting an OLDER dog (show prospect that didnt work out usually)

me=EXCITED! She is like the best papillon breed like..ever. lol i find myself looking through the dogs on her website wondering which ones are the older dogs shes going to place into pet homes

Ive noticed that i tend to lean towards tris as far as "omg omg i wannt nowww" but all her dogs are BEAUTIFUL

..i need some "yays" because when i told some of the volunteers at the shelter, they totally didnt care that she is a responsible breeder or anything, or that i wanted a papillon, they just kept guilt tripping me about the dogs in the shelter and that im "killing" one of them by getting this dog :/ i know it isnt true but still.. it hurt to hear them say that

Now i do still have some questions about paps tho..

First and foremost GROOMING. which brushes should I be getting and what do I do about grooming those ears?.. lol

harness or collar for walking? do you keep collars on all the time?

Do you think I could change the dogs name? I probably wont..but in case its something really bad like "mrs.fluffykins" do you think i could/should?

What is a good size for a crate?

thanks im excited!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Water Junkie

Did you ever find out why she had so many dogs?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Did you ever find out why she had so many dogs?
Yes thanks for asking, I totally forgot that was one my concerns in the last thread

I spoke with someone who has visited her at her home and has met her dogs. most of her dogs you see on the website are co-owned. she said the dogs at her home dogs were healthy and friendly and the house is clean and well kept.

Also, I went through the dogs on her website, if you click the pictures of "sires" "dams" and currently being shown, you can see that MOST are not at her home.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Sounds exciting !!! Hope it works out for you !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Jealousy over here! I would love a dog from her.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Jealousy over here! I would love a dog from her.

Good luck!
you could just send me rose and we'll work something out lol
Old 04-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post

1. First and foremost GROOMING. which brushes should I be getting and what do I do about grooming those ears?.. lol

2. harness or collar for walking? do you keep collars on all the time?

3. Do you think I could change the dogs name? I probably wont..but in case its something really bad like "mrs.fluffykins" do you think i could/should?

4. What is a good size for a crate?

thanks im excited!

1. I like to use a fine toothed comb... I find it much easier to pull out knots, etc.

2. I prefer harnesses... toy dogs can get collapsed tracheas from collars however, it is really your choice... I see people using collars on small dogs all the time... it can work fine. I would say never put her on a tie out, or strap her into a car seat belt with a collar for sure.

3. Again, your decision... you can change a dogs name... start training over like when you teach your dog their name the first time... also sometimes it helps to start by putting the names together and slowly drop off the old name... for example: if her name was Princess and you want it to be Rose... you call PrincessRose and treat when she looks and over time drop off Princess and just say Rose...

4. How much does she weigh? General rule of thumb is that dogs should be able to stand up and turn around in a crate... so for this a small size is probably enough... Once mine are potty trained, I often use bigger crates when they are needed... so I can fit food, water, toys, etc in there as well.

OH and CONGRATS.... cant wait to see pics.

(I added the numbers to your OP to make it easier to follow my answer)
Old 04-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
1. I like to use a fine toothed comb... I find it much easier to pull out knots, etc.

2. I prefer harnesses... toy dogs can get collapsed tracheas from collars however, it is really your choice... I see people using collars on small dogs all the time... it can work fine. I would say never put her on a tie out, or strap her into a car seat belt with a collar for sure.

3. Again, your decision... you can change a dogs name... start training over like when you teach your dog their name the first time... also sometimes it helps to start by putting the names together and slowly drop off the old name... for example: if her name was Princess and you want it to be Rose... you call PrincessRose and treat when she looks and over time drop off Princess and just say Rose...

4. How much does she weigh? General rule of thumb is that dogs should be able to stand up and turn around in a crate... so for this a small size is probably enough... Once mine are potty trained, I often use bigger crates when they are needed... so I can fit food, water, toys, etc in there as well.

OH and CONGRATS.... cant wait to see pics.

(I added the numbers to your OP to make it easier to follow my answer)
thanks

Any harness suggestions? I think ill just keep a collar on all the time, but use a harness for walking and such.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Yorkie Love

Puppia, all the way.

They are the best harnesses out there.

You can get them online or a lot of "boutique" type pet stores sell them.

They are 22-24 dollars but they last forever and wash really well... so it is not something you will have to buy all the time... I only buy new ones when a new design comes out and I get bored with the old one, lol... but I still have the first one I bought and it is in perfect condition.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
just call me Nilly

Ya I have to chime in and say if I ever had a small dog, I'd be all OVER the puppia harnesses! I love them.

YAY for getting a Papillion!! That's so exciting I hope the conversation on Monday goes well for you!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010