How about Chinook?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I know, it looks like I'm running through the "C"s for breeds, but it's coincidence! (First Catahoula, then Canaan and now Chinook). :D

I've only seen them at UKC shows and there seems to be a HUGE difference in type. Some were timid, but most I've seen were quite stable and very versatile.

Anyone have experience with them?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My friend has a chinook! awesome dog.. but incredible seperation anxiety, he needs to be with her and her family AT ALL TIMES.

heres what dog breed info has to say:

These are dedicated, hard-working and versatile sled dogs. Performing their given task is their primary concern in life. In addition to sled-pulling, the breed also can be used for carting, obedience, flyball, search & rescue, and packing. The build of the dog, coupled with their agile movement and drive, make them great agility dogs. One of the key breed characteristics is the Chinook's temperament: calm, non-aggressive, with a willing, friendly disposition. Chinooks are bred to work in teams and should not exhibit dog-aggression. Notwithstanding its gentle, even temperament, the Chinook is a dignified dog. Socialize well to prevent them from being reserved with strangers or unfamiliar surroundings. In action, the Chinook is graceful but purposeful, alert but calm. His expression reflects his intelligence; his proud carriage reflects his dignity. Most Chinooks make excellent pets for children, especially when the dog is raised with them, (even with rough & tumble children). Most Chinooks tolerate children even when they haven't had any contact with them. These dogs are incredibly loyal. They work totally reliable off-leash and really only want to be with you. Given acres and acres of land, the dogs are generally going to be wherever you are; so having a lot of space is not a requirement, but you do need to take them for daily walks where they are made to heel beside or behind you, never in front as the pack leader goes first. The Chinook needs to be close to its family and part of the family. They do not make good outdoor pets. The Chinook is generally good with non-canine pets. They need an owner who is confident and firm with them, but not harsh. If you are passive with them they will become strong willed. Chinooks are easily trained through positive reinforcement, but do not respond to heavy handed training tactics. A calm authority in a way dogs can understand is best. They are very smart, and only need to know what you want them to do."

this seems to sum it up when it comes to her dog, he is awesome!! :) i love him and ill try to dig up some pictures.. his name is Chinook. lol not very original

He LOVES children and even children who play roughly with him he is very calm and loves it. He is very smart and surprisingly doesnt require that much exercise.. he gets 2 walks a day and is very calm in the house

BostonBanker

I used to house-sit for one. Nice dog, very quiet in the house, good with their young children. I was actually really impressed with how good he was off-lead, and was pretty willing to focus on people. Given the sled-dog heritage, I would have expected a bit more of an independent attitude. Not sure if it was just him, since he's the only purebred I've known. I loved house-sitting for him, because he was very good indoors about just settling down and didn't feel the need to be in your face all the time.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I knew a Chinook. She was a sweet dog, just in the wrong hands. She would have made a good pet for an older couple onces she got past a few behavioral problems she had. I helped trained her in a few things and she was always very quick to learn.

Members online

No members online now.