Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Big Dog

Honestly, I never think to call mixed breeds by a cutsie name. Naturally, I want to call them whatever predominate breed they are...mix. Or just say they are a mixed breed.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I call Foster a Golden/Poodle mix most of the time... but I always get Oh you mean he's a "Goldendoodle" just like others have said... Most people ask "He's sweet is he a GoldenDoodle?" I simply say yes, because they look at me like I have ten heads if I say, nope a Poodle/Golden mix.. LOL
Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

As some of you might know, Jose` is about 12 LBS and supposed to be a purebred Chihuahua. However, he doesn't even quite look all Chi, even besides his size. Well.....the other day, I had them on a leash walk down by the little store and someone oo'd and aww'd over them and then asked what breed they were, to which I replied, "Chihuahuas." She asked if the other one (Chulita, the 5-6LB Chi) was simply not full grown yet. I had to chuckle and informed her that, no....Chulita is 9 yrs old, correct in size and it's Jose` that is the defective, over-grown one...that for all I know, he might be a mix, regardless of what the byb told me. He looks like the product of a covert affair by his mother. So, I wound up giving a very complicated answer....should have just said a Chi mix. I've tried that. Then they ask what kind of mix. And I have to think on that for a while. Hmmm. What could it be?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Yorkie Love

I dont think it matters much what you call them.

Where the dog comes from is important... what you call them not so much.

I dont see the difference between labradoodle or lab/poodle cross or lab mix.

I think it is just people getting too caught up in semantics.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

I feel the more you start calling them labradoodles the more you sound like you agree that they are a breed, even if inside you don't believe they are you sound like you believe they are. If someone asks if you have a labradoodle and you say yes then you are confirming for them that it is indeed a breed and a breed they might like. They would not adopt a lab/poodle mix they would only get a labradoodle, they want a purebred not a mix, people actually think it's a breed of dog, different from a mix. If someone asked if my dog was a labradoodle I would probably say "yes he's a lab/poodle mix". I want people to be aware that a mix is a mix, there are not Labradoodles and then Lab/Poodle mixes, they are both mutts, the same thing, one is no better than the other, sadly people think there is.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
orange iguanas.

I refuse to call Lucy a bich-poo. Maybe I'm just silly but I feel better calling her a bichon/poodle mix... I don't want to give the impression that I think it's an actual breed or something, kinda like what Maxy is saying. Just like I wouldn't create some weird name if I had a GSD/husky mix; I'm not going to do it for my poodle mix.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Xena is 100% pure bred mutt.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I call Wrigley All American as that is what he competes as in CPE.
if they ask further I say I think he's a schnauzer/lhasa mix but we really don't know.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 AM
FluffyZooCrew

Quote:
I feel the more you start calling them labradoodles the more you sound like you agree that they are a breed, even if inside you don't believe they are you sound like you believe they are. If someone asks if you have a labradoodle and you say yes then you are confirming for them that it is indeed a breed and a breed they might like. They would not adopt a lab/poodle mix they would only get a labradoodle, they want a purebred not a mix, people actually think it's a breed of dog, different from a mix. If someone asked if my dog was a labradoodle I would probably say "yes he's a lab/poodle mix". I want people to be aware that a mix is a mix, there are not Labradoodles and then Lab/Poodle mixes, they are both mutts, the same thing, one is no better than the other, sadly people think there is.
^ ^ This. And it can really do harm by calling a mutt by a designer name. As I said, say I have a Maltese/Poodle mix for example, and someone says oh, what breed is that. I can either say "Oh he's a mix of a maltese and poodle". Or I can say "He's a Malti-Poo". Someone may fall in love with his looks, and go out looking for a "Malti-Poo" breeder. All this does is support backyard breeders even more.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Top Dog

I normally call my Dobe a Dobe mix, my other dog Chance I call her an Alaskan Husky since they are an assortment of breeds which are bred for working ability so they still use different breeds for working enhancement. She looks simialar to the Alaskan Husky...so that's what I call her I would also call her a natural dog as she may not even have any purebred in her. Artifically selected purebred dogs have not been aound that long so there are still many dogs out there that are natural dogs due to natural selection.