Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Update On Rocky

Here goes:

Yesterday just when I thought his food-aggression was going well I decided to test him. He lunged at me and tried to attack me. Today, my breeder said to give Rocky a bop on the nose when he tries to nip, since nothing else has worked, why not? When I did, he tried to bite me angrily.

Basically, I feel I don't have the experience and just... capability to deal with a dog such as Rocky. I believe it was a mistake getting a 6 week old challenging breed such as a German shepherd. I've talked to a lot of professional trainers, some on this board, tried all sorts of suggestions to deal Rocky with. Oh well... none worked. Maybe it's just me-- since this is my very first dog.

I feel Rocky needs someone with a lot of experience--someone who will do him more justice.

So, much to many peoples belief I believe Rocky's breeder is the right person-- maybe not the best breeder in the world-- but he truly cares about his dogs. I can say this confidently by his actions towards his dogs and from what I've seen of the dogs myself. When he called he coincidentally mentioned that if I ever wanted to rehome Rocky to give him to him. He said he'd even pay to have him.

Anyway, I feel much better giving Rocky to my breeder, someone with about 30 years experience with GSD's than any shelter-- at least I know he'll live. And from what I've seen, a good life.

That's the update...

And that is what I plan on doing. Thank you to those of you who helped during Rocky's trials and tribulations with me. Thank you Renee and Saje, two of the nicest people on this board and ones who helped me a TON. Thank you Chazhound Dog Forum.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:22 PM
yuckaduck

You don't have to leave us because of this you know. You are still welcome here, I for one think you are very responsible and deserve a pat on the back for making such a tough decision. Perhaps we can help you through this time as well.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Island dweller

BigDogDaddy, you know we love you and will help you through this. If this is the best option for you then we absolutely support it. I really hope you won't leave the forums though. You are still a dog lover and there are other dog lovers here that don't have dogs. You can still be our friend and discuss other breeds... rescues... whatever! You never know what will happen but I'd hate to not hear from you.

Lots of hugs. I know this is hard for you. At least Rocky will be safe and you'll be able to have contact! I really want you to be able to call and find out how Rocky's doing... and maybe even visit. That would make me really happy.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Keyozilla

I'm glad you're happy about your decision! I wouldn't have been able to make that decision myself as well as you handled it. But you don't have to leave Chazhound just because you don't have a dog. You still care about dogs, and you can still help others through their decisions as well!

Meow.
Between the Rain Drops :: My graphics/personal website
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

It's really great that the breeder is willing to get him back. I totally understand the problem, as Boris tends to get agressive when we try to take something he stole from him. Although it's rare and it can be avoided by trading with a treat, I can very well imagine that it could get pretty far, and sometimes I'm worried about it, even though I've never had any problem personally, only my husband has. But I hope you will stay too.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Dude, you're not really leaving are you? You made the best decision for Rocky, that took heart. We love having you here. I love having your insight on various topics, you're very smart.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Felurian

You can't leave. I forbid it, lol! I don't like losing my kids

Nedim is right; that took heart, and a great deal of love and unselfishness.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Rusty but Trusty

BigDog I competely understand where you are coming from. I know it is a hard and difficult decision to make to give your dog up but it is the best for Rocky. It is very brave of you to do this. I went through the same thing with my pit mix Mack we tried everything we could to help him but nothing worked. Although Mack's breeder wouldn't take him back because he was neutered (which made me REALLY mad). Although ina few days he'll be going to live with someone who knows and loves pitbulls and all the bully breeds so I'll know he'll be in good hands. Good for you for making the right decision, and I hope you still join us on the forum.

Last edited by juliefurry; 08-19-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Big German Shepherd

I'm not leaving. This place is like family.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
I'm not leaving. This place is like family.
Glad to hear it