Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Default Cornsnake!

We got a cornsnake on Sunday. Jon and I went to the Midwest Reptile Expo here in town, where we had a chance to put our research to the test and talk to some breeders. It was a very neat thing to visit, and... well... we got a cornsnake!

He's a four-month old male Okeetee. I have been waiting to get accurate measurements after he's fully adjusted, but he's somewhere between 14-18" long, and I have no guess on weight yet.

He had his first feeding (well, first feeding here at home) late last night, which went very well. No name yet. My husband and I just can't agree on anything. LOL!

And, pictures. Not very many, and not very good, because we wanted to stress him out as little as possible, so I just snapped these really quickly while Jon was transporting him from the travel container into the tank. I think he's going to settle in very well. He's been pretty laid back so far.

You can see some of the neat patterns down his sides here.

Got his head in focus! Huzzah!

Tongue!

He's not very colorful right now, but his oranges will get brighter and his reds will get bolder with every shed. You can kind of get a "preview" of how bright he will eventually be by looking at the orange near his head.

That's all for now!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Lord Cynical

OMG he's CUTE!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Just try me..

What a cute little snake!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
OMG he's CUTE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
What a cute little snake!

Thanks!

The final decision was between this guy, and then there was an '07 female sunglow motley that was just GORGEOUS!! I took a card from her breeder... and the next expo is in June... if by some miracle she is still available, I might not be able to resist a second time. LOL!

But I digress, this guy IS very cute! Very curious, too. I heard a lot of stories of hatchling cornsnakes being really skittish, but this one doesn't really seem to care. He was more interested in exploring Jon's arm rather than going into his tank on Sunday. Lol! I am really rexcited to see him grow into his colors. The photos I've seen of adult Okeetees are just stunning!

I'm rambling again, aren't I?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Top Dog

What a cute lil guy, I also have a corn snake! Hes a couple years older though.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Salty Sea Dog

hes a stunner, i need to find a reptile expo around here, id love to go simply to look but im after a coral or neon coral snow corn...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Wookie Collie

Everyone's catching the reptile bug around here!

Beautiful little corn, love it <3

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Thank you everybody!

I posted these same pictures on the cornsnake forum I'm a member of, and have learned that he's probably not an Okeetee at all, just a very pretty Classic corn. I'm a little bummed about that, mostly because I was really looking for an Okeetee and feel like the breeder lied to us (whether or not it was intentional). Live and learn, I suppose... We put in a lot of research, so it's kind of a let-down to find out that we didn't actually get what we were looking for.

Don't get me wrong, though, I like this little guy! Okeetee or no, he's not going anywhere.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Taxiderpy

Beautiful! I can see a ton of pigment on that little guy. He's going to glow by 1 year. Was he labeled a normal? He almost looks like a hypo in your photos.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Beautiful! I can see a ton of pigment on that little guy. He's going to glow by 1 year. Was he labeled a normal? He almost looks like a hypo in your photos.
He was labeled as an Okeetee, though after a lot of reading today, I strongly doubt he actually is. At the time, however, I hadn't seen an Okeetee hatchling, and certainly hadn't seen an Okeetee and a Classic side-by-side, so I didn't really know any better. I'm going to call the breeder and ask about it, because there is the possibility that he is still from Okeetee locality lines and just doesn't quite have the looks... but I would think he should have mentioned that when I bought the snake.

I will try to take better pictures this weekend. I know the colors are a little off with those photos because I was taking them so fast... I don't *think* that he's a hypo, but we've already seen that maybe I don't know my morphs as well as I thought.