Any tips for a new groomer? ..well bather

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well, im not really a "groomer" lol i got hired at the local dog salon to help with bathing the dogs, just basic rinse, lather, and rinse kind of thing i guess.. :)

Any tips?

i work at a dog kennel and we bath them when their going home, but yes, best thing is not to get water in the ears coz dogs ears aren't shaped like ours and can give them infections etc. but you still do want to wet their heads, so if they are like a shepherd or something hold their ears down so the water doesn't get in them

other then that, congrats on the new job :D

Athebeau

Lets see, tips for a bather :) first if you have a new dog/puppy that is not used to grooming or scared of being bathed be very gentle. I always bring the water nozzle up front the front legs to the chest and then belly then shoulder area etc on a nervous dog. Never take the nozzle over top of a nervous dog (say per chance starting from the head down). For a dog that is used to grooming I normally start up at the ears, you can just hold the flaps down to keep water out or put in cotton balls (which most dogs just shake out anyway). If it's a large breed I do one side at a time. Or depending on how the dog is standing I will do the front first. Completely wet the dog, if the dog wants to shake allow the dog to do so, you will see them slightly tilt their head before a shake with some dogs. Once completely soaked apply the shampoo and massage in down to the skin. With some dogs I will take a brush (an old slicker or we have a rubber slicker specifically made for bathing) and run it over the dog to help mats slide out and distribute the shampoo even better. For the face be very careful when applying shampoo, if a small breed I will put some on the chin and work up from there. I will also take a tooth brush and put some shampoo on and brush through the beard, under eyes etc. Be very careful not to get shampoo in the eyes. When rinsing from the face I sometimes will hold the head back on short faced dogs so the water goes down the neck and not in the nostrils, getting water in the dogs nostrils can happen so easily on short muzzled dogs and can cause them to react by trying to snort it out. If your ever in the shower try getting water up your own nostrils to see just how horrible it feels. The first rinse does not have to be the best if you are doing a second shampoo (which we always do). The second shampoo I lather up and brush through as well as you can get more coat out or some mats may come out easier. When rinsing be sure to start from the head and work down the back, sides, underbelly, legs, groin, pants, armpits (honestly the arm pits can be missed by some bathers). Rinse until the water runs clear and no more bubbles, bubbles indicate there is still a residue of shampoo. If you use a conditioner (there are breeds that conditioner is not advisable to use on) I use a conditioner that is diluted and spritz over the dog and gently rub in, then you can brush this through and rinse completely.

If you are drying the dog as well, with large heavy coated breeds I give them a zap in the tub. Then I put them on the drying table and first zap over, for some breeds starting at the head is very important for a proper finish. I put the nozzle to the skin and dry from the skin outwards. The drying can give or take away from the end result of the grooming process. With Newf's, golden's etc I make sure I dry the dog so the coat lays flat not curly. I also brush double coated breeds while drying when almost dry, do not brush in one spot too long as you can give brush burn. The same goes with drying a dog with a h/v dryer, if the dog is nervous start from the legs and work your way up, be sure not to frighten the dog by just bringing it up and over their back.

If you notice anything abnormal be sure to point it out to the groomer.

Members online

No members online now.