Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Active Pup

Default starting agility training

We have a one year old miniature pinscher that we recently adopted and we want to try agility with. Neither my husban nor I have any experience with this sport so we want to sign up for a class but I'm not sure how much basic experience our dog should have prior to trying agility in order for him to get the full benefit from the agility schooling. He knows sit, lie down and come when he is called (most of the time ). Is there anything else that we should be working on now - prior to signing up?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm about to start Sawyer in agility as well! The trainer I'm going to go to said that the only prior training she requires is a fairly reliable recall (come) response.

And I'm sure that a healthy weight for any dog is a good idea. Not that I'm saying yours isn't, but you know some people out there...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

They should know stay as well. The two trainers I used required a puppy obedience class first. But it may be different where you are. They should be able to come along with you obediently too, as in when you say, "let's go" or whatever command you use for that so that you can show them where you want them to go. Agility is lots of fun. You'll love it!