Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Salty Sea Dog

dog agression, mild same sex i can deal with to some extent...but i like having a group of dogs and wouldnt knowingly put myself up to deal with a crate/rotate situation
i also dislike extreemly owner aloof dogs, i want my dog to enjoy my company, i dont dogs aloof with strangers...but breeds who barely care for their families company...not my cuppa

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I've had 5 of my own and many boarded or rescued as pluses . I never had crates and all were family .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

I really dislike dogs that are overly friendly to everyone. A little bit reserved is preferable.
Also, I don't want to deal with professional grooming, so that would be a big turn off.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Are you dead yet?

Dog-aggression bugs me, and I can't live with it. I don't like lazy dogs or ones with low drive, but I'd take a breathing sofa pillow before I'd take a dog that would willingly attack a housemate.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:00 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
Overly-submissive dogs.
I agree.

Something about a dog who instantly wriggles and flips on their back and cries and pees and claws me upon sight... it just unnerves me. I must get it from Gonzo. Adult dogs who behave like super-submissive puppies are his #1 pet peeve of the century. Especially incessant mouth licking, omg, he flips his lid! This is something that I notice often in Border Collies. It's definitely not a "breed trait", but I see it often which makes it even worse.

After my brief experience with a DA foster, I am very startled by DA as well. I'm sure it's because I am so protective of my boys and I love them so. But, I could never take in a truly DA dog. Outside of the family DR is a piece of cake, as long as they can be trusted with each other. I don't mind not going to the dog park, having to train and desensitize, and all of that. I respect anyone who does own multiple DA dogs but it's too painful for me. I am far too much of a worrywort.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Submissive
Friendly to others - my dog is my dog; not your dog
Needy/wanting to be touched all the time - I like a dog that comes to me; touches me and once acknowledged is good for awhile
welcoming strangers on the property without my permission
liking other dogs a lot -- I don't mind my dog to have friends; but it annoys the crap out of me that my dog would die to see and play with another dog

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I also object to yapping. And I strongly prefer a dog that is loyal to family but reserved with strangers. I admire the accomplishments of dogs that constantly have to be kept busy. but I sure wouldn't want one.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Mostly I have to say yapping!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
FluffyZooCrew

Dog Aggression.

I have too many dogs to ever want any dog aggressive dogs (Audubon is DA, but she's been that for 8 years, and she's getting old now, so it's not nearly as much of a problem as when she was younger).

I could not be one of these people that had to crate and rotate every dog they had. No way. I love being able to have a large group of dogs that all love each other, and can all go play and run and enjoy each other in a group. Not have one locked away while the other plays, then rotate and do the same to the other dog.

So yeah, I think dog aggression tops my list.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Your Mom

With my own breed the trait I dislike the most is the ever-present possibility of Dog Aggression. I will do everything in my power to avoid a crate and rotate situation, but will deal with issues as they come. I'm not dumb and I know it's something that can happen in my chosen breed of dog (though it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad in this bully breed as it is in others).

I don't do super-submissive, fearful, barky, independent, furry, low drive, too much drive . . . I'm sure there's much much more. I'm really very picky about what dogs I like.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"