Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
Tug games have nothing to do with Val biting you. Many dogs (and puppies) do not like being hauled around by their collars. It's a threatening gesture and some will resort to biting, snapping and yelping to escape. Teaching good bite inhibition as Redyre suggests is the best thing to do right now, and train Val to understand that you touching his collar is a good thing by giving him treats when you do so.

These are all good suggestions, which I will follow to the enth degree! We have lots of treats here for Val.

He might not like being hauled around by his collar, but I can assure you that my house isn't large enough for it to have been for a very long haul, nor was I being tough about it.....I just needed to get him into the kitchen, but I will make sure that I take him and his leash into the kitchen each and every time to prevent any unnecessary collaring, for the time being, at least until he gets used to my touching his collar.

His breeder never uses collars on any of her dogs, for what it's worth. I was the first person to put a collar on Val, with his name and phone number and his rabies info. He didn't mind having the collar put on him very much, but the tags seem to annoy him a little.

Thanks to ya'll for the comments and help.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Just try me..

Tug games have nothing to do with the bite. Actually tug when taught well will help teach dogs awareness of how and what to bite when playing.

This bite could have been an accidental thing..... to much is unknown. If he has never done anything like this, as not acting upset or frightened.. well then I doubt he meant to hurt you.

(and him being dominant with other puppies has NOTHING to do with any issue you may have or not have with your relationship with him)
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

I would say that you caught him by surprise if he was wet and you were trying to guide him ......many of us have lost our cool when we have one thing in mind and the dog has another ! Not saying you were rough as I wasn't there .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Big Dog

I am quoting the following from one of the Stop Biting Puppy Websites.....

"While you are trying to stop your puppies from biting, never play tug of war, wrestling or chase type games with them. This only encourages the biting and nipping."
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Twin 2.0

A lot of those websites still advocate "dominance theory" and under those guidelines, they say that tugging creates aggression, which is not necessarily true.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Val .... I let my pups and dogs do tug of war , but never did myself . I think that it has to do with the breed ( Goldens are soft mouthed ) . I don't think that this is related to the bite .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie View Post
I am quoting the following from one of the Stop Biting Puppy Websites.....

"While you are trying to stop your puppies from biting, never play tug of war, wrestling or chase type games with them. This only encourages the biting and nipping."
Yep.. and I can find sites that will tell you to choke your puppy till he almost blacks out to stop the biting.

Most if not all top trainer use tug as a reward.

Grammy>> I know many goldens who LOVE to play tug with their people. Its not a breed thing. Retrievers are normally very into tug as its a co operative game and they have been bred to work with humans.

Val>> you have a working breed. The pup will want to work with you... tugging is something dogs who live together do... its not a contest. Calling it tug of war is a bit of a misnomer. The dog who 'gets it' often brings it back.. its not a game you can play on your own. So winning is actually loosing. (unless you get chased.. that is fun lol)
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I agree with what's been said about tug not having anything to do with the bite.

Grabbing a dog by the collar, unless he's been conditioned to it, can be very intimidating to the dog. He suddenly feels very trapped and you most likely are reaching over the top of him - which can be interpreted as a threatening position. At the very least he is surprised.

The bite may have been a startled reflexive action. Condition him to accept collar grabbing by doing it slowly and from his level and always pairing it with treats.

The bite may have been an objection or fear response to being held tightly. On a leash - even a short leash - they have more wiggle room and don't get as worried about it.

I would use a leash and treats/toys to lead him.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Big Dog

How To Stop A Puppy From Biting Nipping & Mouthing
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie View Post
Yea, there's a lot of bad advice on that site.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team