Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Big Dog

Default Val bit me!

As I collared Val and was leading him to the kitchen, where I have the area gated off, he turned his head backwards and bit me in the middle of my forearm!

It was bleeding plenty and I washed it off and got antibiotic ointment and a band-aid. The bleeding is now stopped. I've never, ever been bitten by a dog like this, any dog, let alone my own dog!

I put a call into the home of the breeder, and she is going to call me back when she comes home from work, around five o'clock.

I am wondering about Val and us.....I hope that this can be resolved in a way that works out for everybody.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Just try me..

We need more information before we can offer any suggestions or help. What was Val doing when you collared him? What was he doing afterwards? Were you looking at him when he did it? What was his body language like?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

NILIF, thats what i would do Nothing in Life is Free

edit: before any of that. we need to know more about what happened.

isnt val still a pup?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

^^^ agree !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
RedyreRottweilers

So where did you go, people are asking you questions trying to help?

Do you have puncture wounds or scrapes?

What do you mean by "collared"?

What was he doing when you went to get him?

I suggest using something pleasant to help puppies go where they need to be.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

oh and speaking from experience with a dog who is scared by people touching her collar (he last owner must have dragged her or w/e) it is NOT A GOOD FEAR for a dog to have. kenya has never bitten me, but she SHUTS DOWN. She will drop to the ground, not move, and pee sometimes.. I learned this the hard way one day trying to bring her inside. Now we use the treats and KENYA COME

Try leading him there with treats if possible, or leash him up to bring him and add positive associations to it
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Big Dog

I was taking him in from going outside. It is wet and raining here. I reached for his collar to guide him into the kitchen. His leash was off and as I bent over, he reached backwards to get to my arm to bite it, as I walked him from the dining room into the kitchen. He will be 4 months on 4/30. He tore skin off my arm I'd say about the size of a baked bean. I washed it up, put antibiotic ointment on it and a band-aid and after about a half hour, it stopped bleeding.

I called my doctor and they said as long as I had my tetanus updated, (which I do), I'd be fine.

I just want to say that this Aussie is much more "bitey" than my other Aussie girl, who only nipped at feet, not at hands, at all. I guess that's why I am so surprised about this mouthing, biting and such. I am certainly upset about drawing blood like this.

The breeder hasn't called me back as yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I would begin serious work on bite inhibition with this puppy.

Dog Tip: Bite Inhibition -- an Essential Part of Socialization

Dogs and Puppies - Training and Behavior Help

The Bite Stops Here

Bite Inhibition Article

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt

Dog Logic Obedience Articles

Bite Inhibition

I would also never be without a leash AND COOKIES in order to avoid putting the pup in this situation again.

If you are not in training class, I'd say its time!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
I would begin serious work on bite inhibition with this puppy.

Dog Tip: Bite Inhibition -- an Essential Part of Socialization

Dogs and Puppies - Training and Behavior Help

The Bite Stops Here

Bite Inhibition Article

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt

Dog Logic Obedience Articles

Bite Inhibition

I would also never be without a leash AND COOKIES in order to avoid putting the pup in this situation again.

If you are not in training class, I'd say its time!
I was set for a training class, but it was the day before Easter and was changed to 4/19, so we are set for a training class.

I've looked over the different puppy biting websites and nothing I've done, I don't think deserved this kind of biting, except that we had been playing tug games, of which I am going to stop immediately.

I've not been able to take the puppy out as much as I'd like to due to inclement weather which neither of us likes much.

I took photos of the bite, just in case I ever need it for reference. God forbid he ever bit someone else like this, I'd surely be sued up one street and down the other and who knows what would become of Val!

This dog was the dominant one of a litter of seven live puppies.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
woop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_theAussie View Post
I've looked over the different puppy biting websites and nothing I've done, I don't think deserved this kind of biting, except that we had been playing tug games, of which I am going to stop immediately.

This dog was the dominant one of a litter of seven live puppies.

Tug games have nothing to do with Val biting you. Many dogs (and puppies) do not like being hauled around by their collars. It's a threatening gesture and some will resort to biting, snapping and yelping to escape. Teaching good bite inhibition as Redyre suggests is the best thing to do right now, and train Val to understand that you touching his collar is a good thing by giving him treats when you do so.