Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default What do you think makes a GOOD BREEDER?

Just thought id ask so post away!

What do you think makes them good? what are some things you look for?

For me.. its always the "if you cant keep the dog, we will take him/her back" to me that in itself sais I LOVE MY DOGS and i take responsibility for what im creating.

If you have a link to your favorite breeder, go ahead and post it.

Im sure answers will differ, thats what this thread is for for some its working their dogs, for some its showing, ect..
Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Yorkie Love

Obviously fulfilling each of these things does not make someone a good breeder but this is what I look for...

I look for someone who will honestly answer any question I pose to them.

I look for someone who home rears their dogs... I want my puppy to come to me used to living in a house, not a cage. (Crate training is obviously a good thing, just not living in a cage/kennel)

I prefer someone who has already started with good nutrition.

I look for someone who cares about the quality/health of their dogs.

*Im sure there is more, lol... thats what I can think of now.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

A good breeder is actively involved with the breed in order to stay current on what's going on healthwise. A good breeder does complete health testing on their dogs, proves their working abilities, can explain why they bred the pair they bred and what they hope to achieve. A good breeder will be honest about the faults of their dogs and how those faults effect their breeding decisions. A good breeder will ensure that I am prepared to own their breed and will take the time to educate me on the needs of the breed if necessary.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
RedyreRottweilers

My criteria might differ from what others feel is a good breeder, however, here it is:

A good breeder:

Does all health testing relevant to the breed.
(For Rottweilers this means OFA screening for hips and elbows, CERF for eyes, and cardiac screening by an ACVIM Cardiologist. )

Competes with their dogs in some venue

Evaluates puppies honestly and sells all dogs with a fair contract and guarantee

Plans breedings with improvement in mind

Does not breed dogs who do not conform to the current breed standard or who have disqualifying faults

Screens homes carefully to avoid inappropriate homes

Does not allow the breeding of puppies graded and sold as pets

Offers support and is available as a mentor to all buyers

Will take back any dog for the duration of its lifetime if the owner is unable to keep it for any reason

Supports breed rescue
Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

To me the first 8 weeks of a pup's life is so important . The breeder must spend tons of time with the pups . Plus everything Redy said .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Active Pup

To me a good breeder is honest and care about his/her dogs and pups. A good breeder helps pups owner in any situations and if there is a situation where breeders knowledge isn't enough, he/she guides the pups owner to someone, who knows better. A good breeder cooperate with other breeders: Shares information about his/her own dogs and breeding (good and bad things).

Nobody can't bred a breed by himself/herself so to me it's really important that people can cooperate and be honest what ever situation is.

A good breeder is interested of his/her litters and try keep contact with the owners. He/she organize training camps and meetings for his/her puppies owners.

A good breeder plans his/her breeding, don't just breed because wants to have some puppies. When a breeder choose breeding material, he/she don't look only mother and father dogs health results, characters etc. but also he/she looks what kind of dogs are in mother and fathers pedigree (cousin's and brothers&sisters also). Shortly he/she knows his/her breeding materials.

A good breeder compete with his/her dogs and they have some results from working dog trials (this is what I look when I chose my belgians breeder) or somewhere else.

A good breeder does health tests to as many littermates as possible and of cource she/he tests her/his own dogs also even if they aren't used for breeding.

Our blog >>
Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Health testing and breeding to better the breed.
I am most interested in a breeder who competes with their dogs, whether it be in field trials or conformation. If I am going for a sporting dog, I want them to do what they were bred to do, so a field trail is far more important then the conformation ring.
With my Paps, I like them to be finished.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 PM
orange iguanas.

Health testing is important to me. I'm not savvy enough to know everything that a boxer should be tested for, but I do like to see OFA, cardiac, and thyroid testing.

I also look for a meaningful guarantee. A 1 year health guarantee just isn't enough... Lucy came with a 1 year guarantee, and I'm not even kidding, less than a week shy of that 1 year is when her luxating patellas and legg perthes came to a head. I don't know what an ideal guarantee would be, but at least more than 1 year. My puppy comes with a lifetime guarantee, which is definitely long enough to satisfy me lol.

I also think good breeders will take any dogs back, and be totally honest about their dogs and their breeding program. When it comes to boxers, cancer is an issue and I want to know if that's what the breeder's dogs die from, or if they get it at a young age.

Those are the biggies off the top of my head.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

A good relationship with the breeder is SO important
Health Testing of breeding and non-breeding dogs to get a complete picture
Competing (I want to see the dogs doing what they were bred for, as well as other activities)
Dogs live in the house and are true companions
Does puppy imprinting
Screens homes very carefully and is willing to take the puppy back
Knowledgeable about training and nutrition and health care
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Breeding for the betterment of the breed and not just because you think your dog is special.
Having all the necessary tests done. Making sure there is 3 generations of heath free issues in your dog's pedigree.
Breeding to the standard the parent club has set forth and not trying for "rare" something .
Temperament tested parents.
Proving your dogs in the ring and titling your dogs.
Having the experience and money to follow through with costs of breeding.