Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
Im still picking out nail polish colors.

AHHH... I CANT get a girl... I CANT afford one.
Im going to go bankrupt when i get my little girl.. omg they have such cute stuff! lol i need to be stopped! my cart is already up to $500.. im definetly NOT going to check out! lol
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

1- Where do you live, state wise?
Ontario

2- What type of dog/breed do you own?
American Cocker Spaniels

3- What do you get done? Is it just a bath, or is their scissoring/style done?
Cocker cuts, Cider in summer gets poms on her feet, everything else shaved

4- If it is scissoring/style, what gets done. Is it scissoring/style or is it just a shave? Smudge is in a full show cut, hand stripped back, Cide's lower legs/feet get shaped.

5- What do you get charged? I know this might be a bit personal but it would help me know the average price per state.
Only groomers Cider ever went to were for a full shave. Petsmart wanted to charge 65 minimum for a cocker here though.

6- Are you happy with your groomer?
Somedays Others I wish she'd do nails more often

7- If you are happy with them, can you give me a reason why? Example, is it the location, the type of salon, efficiency?
Nice to be able to trim up dogs when I feel like it, no wait time and be able to change their style if I feel like it and get what I want

That's all for now, I'm sure I might get other questions popping up later. I know some of you groom your own dogs at home. Can you tell me why, is it because of cost, bonding with your dogs or any other reason.

Cider ended up with $750 dollars worth of surgery after an oops at the groomers. Lady was nice, paid for it felt horrible.. but after that I started experimenting at home. After getting Smudge and wanting to try showing him, I got serious and got better tools. Now I can have what I want at least on cockers pretty worry free. Cheaper in the long run as a starving student.. And I can fix them when ever I feel like it, even if it is sooner than I'd want to pay to have them neatened up.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Salty Sea Dog

1- Where do you live, state wise?
Fairfeild County Connecticut.

2- What type of dog/breed do you own?
2 chinese crested
3 long haired chihuahuas
1 cocker speniel

3- What do you get done? Is it just a bath, or is their scissoring/style done?

ruby (crestie), shes a powderpuff kept in a pony cut, so shaved body, and some tidying by hand scissoring on the feet, tail and mane as well as a good bath, condition and blow dry.
jasper: good bath, moisturize and when hes older mabe a little trimming of the head fluff, hes a hairless and requires more skin care than grooming.
the wowies: a good bath, brush and dry with a solid sani-trim and some trimming of the pants, these guys get an anal gland check and expression if needed too.
the cocker: kept in a short cocker cut her gets bath, blowdry, shaved down the back, with a lighter short skirt. Shaved under the arm pits and on the belly/sani-trim.
each dog also gets nails, teeth, ears.

4- If it is scissoring/style, what gets done. Is it scissoring/style or is it just a shave?
See above.

5- What do you get charged? I know this might be a bit personal but it would help me know the average price per state.
depends on the groomer, theres 3 in town. (we use G3 occasionally, but i do most of the grooming myself now...) these groomers are all within 3 miles of each other.
Ruby (full cut/style) g1: $85, g2: $75, g3: $60
Jasper (just a bath and nails ect): g1: $25, g2: $20 g3: $10
the wowies (sani, nails ect) (EACH) g1: $50, g2: $50 g3: $30

Charlie (cocker cut) g1: $80, g2: $75, g3: $65

6- Are you happy with your groomer?
Groomer 3 is a great woman small shop, very one on one, no cages ect, we still use her if i cant get there to get the dogs done ect...
But i usually do it myself.

7- If you are happy with them, can you give me a reason why? Example, is it the location, the type of salon, efficiency?
location was convenient (right in the down town area) and she kept things very personable...not to mention she got VERY excited at the idea of grooming a crestie when i took her in for her first pony cut! lol.

[COLOR="red"]I enjoy doing the dogs myself its just fun for me...but with as many as our family has its just more cost effective for me to do it anyway.

as a side note, FFC CT is known for being a "rich" area, things tend to be highly priced here.COLOR]

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM
:( only one :(

Oh my goodness, MP, I'm so sorry that happened so Smudge, poor little guy! I can see an accidental little nick on a rare occasion but that just crazy. Sadly we have a another groomer in town, if you want to call her that, whom I've gotten many of her clients dogs because of that same reason. I don't know how she's still grooming.

Foxy, funny you mention about your groomer being excited to groom Ruby. I was supposed to get a powderpuff today, it would have been my first as they are not very common around here, and I was very excited. But he was just there temporarily and got adopted out yesterday from and lady in Connecticut, of all places. I thought of you when the owner mentioned that to me.lol She had another dog, a mix, who also needed to be groomed so I had a chance to talk about her PP.

Thank you all for these infos, they are all so informative! Keep them coming!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Yorkie Love

Another thing I thought of.

If you are going to have people working for you, make sure they are honest with the clients always.

I understand a groomer is working on a moving object and accidents happen but I want to hear from the groomer before I leave what happened... I dont want to find it when I get home and have to wonder what happened.

This has happened numerous times to my pets with past groomers and I have left them each time. Not because it happened, but because they didnt have the decency to tell me themselves.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Resident fainting goat

very true! even if the nail was bleeding a lil bit because of a nail clip, i want to KNOW. what gets me mad is not that it happened but that groomers never told me and i had to find it out myself
Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I agree, PM. That's one thing I worry about with someone working for me. I may place values on certain things and my downfall is always assuming the others feel the same as I do. Open policy is an up-most importance with me, that way I know exactly how they feel and how to approach different circumstance, either it be with the grooming style of the dogs behavior.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I also have an open door, if client wants to stay with their dogs they are more then welcome.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny View Post
I agree, PM. That's one thing I worry about with someone working for me. I may place values on certain things and my downfall is always assuming the others feel the same as I do. Open policy is an up-most importance with me, that way I know exactly how they feel and how to approach different circumstance, either it be with the grooming style of the dogs behavior.
Yes, that can be a problem. But I think most workers would hide it for fear of their job... so as long as they know that as long as it was a true accident, you are behind them, they will be more likely to be honest as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny View Post
I also have an open door, if client wants to stay with their dogs they are more then welcome.
Thats great! You have no idea how hard it is to find a groomer that allows this. One place I went to had the grooming tables behind a window and they would face the dogs away from you if they caused a lot of commotion with you their but YOU still knew what was going on... thats fine with me... but I always wonder with the ones who will not let you stay... something to hide?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
Thats great! You have no idea how hard it is to find a groomer that allows this. One place I went to had the grooming tables behind a window and they would face the dogs away from you if they caused a lot of commotion with you their but YOU still knew what was going on... thats fine with me... but I always wonder with the ones who will not let you stay... something to hide?
The downside of having the owner there is that I'll talk the ears off... I work alone so I end up talking to the dogs quite a bit so when I have someone staying with them it's nice to talk to a human too....you can ask Mericox...lol..I've groomed Kiba and Stryder before and loved having her there too.