Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 AM
FluffyZooCrew

Question Any Betta Fish Owners?

Anyone else here own a betta fish?

If so, show your setup and tell me a little about it. I'm looking for idea's for Bellpepper's new setup. Right now he's in a 1/2 gallon temp. tank. I'm looking to possibly set him up a nicely planted 10 gallon tank all for himself.

Lemme see pics if anyone here has a betta fish.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Resident fainting goat

i dont have a betta, but i really want one! but im so confused as far as setups.. do you need a filter or not?
this one is pretty cool
http://www.versaquatics.com/images/Betta_tank.jpg

I just noticed what you wrote in your siggy! dont forget when the ASPCA conficates everybody, i have dibs on gage!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 AM
FluffyZooCrew

D'oh, that's right, Gage is going to you!

I'm pretty sure Frankie is going to smkie, LOL. Not sure where everyone else is going, but I have a feeling Blue and Sam won't be hard to place either.

Quote:
That setup is gorgeous! But not the best idea with no lid, because betta fish are avid jumpers, and can leap out of a open top tank easily. I lost a couple long ago to bettacide.

Nope, you don't need a filter for them, because they do not like much water movement at all, and are not good swimmers. If your house doesn't get very cold (which ours never does), you don't need a heater either, and they do great. Bellpepper is currently on a stand in front of my bedroom window, where he gets natural warmth and daylight.

Very easy little fish to keep.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Resident fainting goat

How often do you clean the tank? do you take all the water out?
Some people have them under plants.. is that ideal?

I cant beleive they jump out! crazy lil bettas!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
FluffyZooCrew

I had Broccoli, my old betta, for over four years. I cleaned his tank about once a week, replacing 75% of the water. Bellpepper will get the same. They're really not messy fish at all, compared to ones like goldfish.

I don't think keeping them in a vase, under plants, is the best idea. Mainly because it gives them very little room to move around. The original habitat for a betta is a small area of water, like puddles, so they don't need the biggest space to swim, but they do need some. Broccoli was in a 5 gallon tank and made use of every inch of it when he used to swim around.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Very Food Agressive

I had a female betta commit suicide by jumping her tank and never went topless again til my current bowl set up. The two bowls that are uncovered though seem to have very unmotivated Bettas. I've got mine in little gallon bowls without filtration so I'm not much help I always thought it was neat how bettas breathe from the surface with their labyrinth

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Our guy Fang; who is in his tank with Bumpkin (an albino chocolate pleco) has 25 gallons; a heater and a filter. He started out in a heart shaped "betta" bowl and was pathetic.

He's got really long fins and would just sit at the bottom of the bowl; not moving at all. I bought the tank for $25 from kijiji; with the heater and the filter; he's been in it for at least a year. I used to do a clean and 25% every month + evaporation; when Fang got cotton mouth. I consulted a few boards to see what to do and everyone said flush and buy another; I couldn't do that to Fang; who we've had for over a year; so bought Fungus cure; did a run through; used some colloidal silver in their water; some Silicea and he's still kicking; looks really good. I was told that if the fishes are healthy and water tests show no discrepancies; don't do such a drastic clean, it can unbalance the water. I've seen some in vases at the bottom of a water lily kinda plant; the vase has a narrow neck and a bulbous bottom; the fish looked o.k.; but I would be concerned with how much water needs to be cleaned out so your vase doesn't look gross.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire!

I have a betta. Two actually. I don't have pictures of their tanks though. I'm a bad fish mom

Thanks to Sizzledog for le Siggy D'AWESOME!
Abusing Animals and Feeding CRAP since.... ALWAYS!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Puppy Dog

I just got a betta for my dorm room last week. I dont have much room on my desk shelf so I had to just put him in a small gold fish bowl with a little fake plant at the bottom and rocks of course. he seems to be doing well but he is very active so next year I would like to get him a larger tank if I have room in my new dorm room. I could use some help with a name though. right now he is Gangsta, but I dont like it. Myroommate named him that. heres a pic:

Boomer: 5 1/2 yr old Australian Shepherd
Preston: 8 yr old Ocherese
Duke: 4+ year old Lab mix?

Kitties: Sophie, Misty, and Angel

Everyone else: Buddy and Charlie- sugar gliders; Stormy, Tempest, Thunder- chinchillas; Lexi- leopard gheco; Meg and Amy- frogs; 1 Beta fish (name pending)
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Fishies!

The important thing about the vases:

1. Bettas are from tropical areas. They do like warm water. They will survive at room temp, but they are more prone to infections like fin rot, unless the water is very, very clean.

2. Vases make that hard.

3. They eat bugs, not plants as the makers of the vases say.