Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Camera Advice

Ok so I'm biting the bullet and getting a good camera. Mostly I want it for taking good pictures of my jewelry but of course it will be used for taking pictures of Hannah.

I've been looking around a bit (although really don't know what I should be looking for)

I've come across the nikon D40 and the Nikon CoolPix P80. can someone help me with what the difference is between these cameras?

I want something that is user friendly, easy for me to learn how to use effectively. I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles like lens' and such I just want something that will be easy for me to use to improve my jewelry photos.

HELP... I don't have a clue

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Twin 2.0

Well, to give you a visual, all of HBH's Cleo and Beagle photos are taken with a D40, IIRC. The Coolpix is ok, but honestly, if you're going for a little pocket camera, I would recommend a Canon Powershot over a Nikon Coolpix. Sony's Cybershot does a good job too.

But for the detail you are wanting for your jewlery, I would go with a D40. You'll love the faster shutter speed for getting pics of the dogs and Hannah as well.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I suggest the D40 too. Plus when Hannah is on the move the zoom and fast shutter speed will work good. And the regular lens it comes with does pretty good macro shots.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Someone directed me to Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ when I was looking for a camera. It helped me figure out what I wanted. I ended up with a Canon Powershot.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

OK I was leaning towards the D40... but the lower price tag on the other one got me thinking hahaha.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Now is the D40 easy to learn to use? I mean I'm not going to have to take a class or anything just to learn how to use it am I? I need something pretty user friendly lol I tjust sounds so complicated

G.K. Chesterton

Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Now is the D40 easy to learn to use? I mean I'm not going to have to take a class or anything just to learn how to use it am I? I need something pretty user friendly lol I tjust sounds so complicated
The nice thing about DSLRs is that you can learn to do some advanced things and take great pictures, or you can shoot completely in manual mode and still take very nice shots
Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Cavalicious

The D40 is a great camera, though I recommend you read some reviews first. What's great is you can progress from Auto (press the shutter button) to A or S modes and then into manual. With A you choose which Aperture setting you'd like and the camera adjusts everything else to match it. It's the same with S where you adjust the Shutter Speed.

Anyway, won't confuse you too early! DSLRs are really fun if you learn how to use them!

My Flickr
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

I meant to say you can shoot completely in AUTO FOCUS and still get very nice pics--not manual (manual would be if you were actually focusing and doing everything yourself
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

I'm starting to do the research now for this as well...sounds like we're in a similar boat.

This website has been PRICELESS to me: KenRockwell.com

He does some amazing things, showing how a lot of the expensive stuff isn't worth it at all to the average consumer, potentially saving a lot of money. His recommendation over and over again is the D40, and the more I read by him the more I like his logic and reasons.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG