Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Default do boxers come in black?

i was looking at some boxer breeders , just to look and found some with blak boxers. i went to check the standard and it mentions nothing about black specifically .

so does black boxers = BYB or is it somhow ressive coming out?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Absence of any brindling on a dog that appears to be black is a disqualification.

Quote:
Color
The colors are fawn and brindle. Fawn shades vary from light tan to mahogany. The brindle ranges from sparse but clearly defined black stripes on a fawn background to such a heavy concentration of black striping that the essential fawn background color barely, although clearly, shows through (which may create the appearance of reverse brindling). White markings, if present, should be of such distribution as to enhance the dog's appearance, but may not exceed one-third of the entire coat. They are not desirable on the flanks or on the back of the torso proper. On the face, white may replace part of the otherwise essential black mask, and may extend in an upward path between the eyes, but it must not be excessive, so as to detract from true Boxer expression. The absence of white markings, the so-called "plain" fawn or brindle, is perfectly acceptable, and should not be penalized in any consideration of color. Disqualifications Boxers that are any color other than fawn or brindle. Boxers with a total of white markings exceeding one-third of the entire coat.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Nope.

But there is reverse brindle which can look very very dark - almost black.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Twin 2.0

I've run into a few black boxers but it's not an encouraged color. Could be a crop-out, could be a color breeder, could just be a very dark reverse brindle. There is some breeder around here putting them out, because they're becoming a lot more common at the dog park.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Sit! Good dog.

If you see a black boxer it's either dark reverse brindle or a cross breed - can't get black boxers - genetically impossible as far as I know.

Unless someone knows something I don't

Which is likely.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Aha - I knew I wasn't making it up!

Quote:
A dog that is any other colour than fawn, brindle (or white) cannot possibly be a pure bred boxer because those are the only genes for coat colour that exist within the boxer breed. A "boxer" that is black, or black with brown points, for example, MUST be a mixed breed because the genes required for those coat colours do not exist within the boxer breed (just as, for example, the brindle colour does not exist within the labrador retriever breed, or harlequin within the rottweiler breed).

Old 04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
RedyreRottweilers

You can bet on one thing. If it is mentioned in the breed standard, it DOES HAPPEN.

Labrador Retriever:

Color
The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

i read those quotes on other sites and thought it was impossible to get black like the pictures i was seeing also. but wanted to come here and ask anyway because chazzers know exerything and ya'll rock!

so nope no black ones in my way far away future!

i so wish people aould do the right thing and not be dictated by there pocket books.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Ok. Still as far as I am aware it is genetically impossible to get a black boxer

I don't know about labs.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Taxiderpy

Our neighbors have a boston terrier who I thought was black, until I was petting her and noticed she has some microscopic brindling on her inner legs. I would have never seen it if she hadn't gone belly up for me to pet her, so it's possible the dogs you are seeing are very dark brindles.