Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Default Mikey's big adventure

Several weeks ago when I was in Raleigh I ran into one of my longtime friends in Rottweilers. It was good to see him again. I helped him get one of his dogs to ringside, and we had a chance to chat about dogs a little. I spoke to him about Mike, and brought him inside so he could see him.

I offered the dog to him, should he be interested, and he agreed to consider it. I didn't think a lot more about it. Fast forward to this past weekend at the dog shows. Turns out he is VERY interested. In fact, we discussed it, and I took Mike up to him on Sunday after the show. This guy has been in Rottweilers longer than I have, and is an excellent trainer. He has finished quite a few dogs in the Breed ring, bred some nice litters, and he has titled I don't know how many dogs in the working and obedience rings.

He and Mike have hit it off in a really super way. The dog is sleeping in his bed and riding everywhere with him. I am pretty sure you could not pry this dog away from him with a crow bar now.

I went by to see them for a little while today. Sure was glad to see my boy, and he was glad to see me too. Funny thing tho. As he went back in the house with his new owner, he didn't even look back at me.

I know this is an outstanding place for my Mikey where he will get loads of attention, outstanding training, and be a cherished personal dog for the rest of his life, but I tell you it hurts like hell.

I have cried every day, and I'm crying writing this. Cried when I left up there today. *sniffle* I really miss my big ol' huggy boy in the mornings, especially.

It's good he's not too far away. I expect I will take another trip up there in a week or so.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Felurian

You know, that's exactly what happened when I picked Bimmer up from the farm where he'd been dumped. I talked to Carolyn, the woman who had taken him in there, and she said he was the first dog who had ever left her without looking back (a lot of dogs and pups get dumped at her place) and it hurt at first, but then it made her happy because she realized that this was one time she didn't have any doubts that one of "her" dogs went home with exactly who he was supposed to be with.

Sounds like Mikey has finally found where he truly belongs

((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))) Rough, ain't it?

BUT!!!! Did you make sure dude knows he has to report in to us?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Red, it's tough, but it sounds like a really great home for him. It also sounds like he will be special there, and get all the attention he needs. And that was just what you were looking for.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THat sounds good. I am glad if you are happy.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Show Dog

I'm so glad you found just the right place for him, but WOW!!! I don't know how you can do it.

I know I hear from all my show friend about having too many "pets", blah blah blah, but how do people do it. Just like placing retired show and/or breeding dogs. Puppies, I'm okay with. I've done rescuing and fostering, but those, I didn't form any kind of bond with. So how do you detatch yourself from older dogs that you have truely bonded with and give them up. I hate to say it, but maybe it is a good thing that rotties don't live very long or I'd have 30 in no time. I know we all have to do what is in the best interest of the dogs and that would be probably the only thing that would persuade me to place an older pet, but it would break my heart. I almost think worse than them dying, I think.

Red, I'm so proud of you for having the strength to do the right thing for Mikey. Now both boys will get the attentions that they derserve.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

I am so happy for you and for Mikey. I know how hard it can be. It was a year ago that I sent Stan away. One of the hardest things I have ever done, but the right thing none-the-less. You have had so much more time with him.

Looking forward to updates and visits and photos...etc. Hugs...
Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Twin 2.0

Sounds likes Mikey is in a great place!!!

It is rough giving them to a new home but when it's the right one, it's all the better! I still miss Virgo but I know she's in the perfect home now!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Resident fainting goat

Mike and Mikey it sounds like a match made in heaven! Im glad you found him a great home and that hes happy, ((HUGS)) it must be so hard missing him but atleast you know hes very happy and getting all the love, attention, training, he needs

and its awesome that hes so close you can go visit often and see him
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Bored Now.

Red. (((((((((((((((((((ENORMOUS HUGS))))))))))))))))))) I'm sorry. So sorry.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Top Dog

What a decision to make Red. But it sounds like it was the right one for Mikey. Sighhhhhhsssssssss you did tell him(human Mike) its a requirement to join the forum so we can have updates of Mikey.