Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i don't understand how the shelter is getting around the whole legality issue of dispensing prescription products without a doctor-patient relationship.

i'm not a banfield fan either but when i was short on cash in college, their vaccine clinics helped me out with my cats. my biggest concern about banfield is that they HUGELY overvaccinate and the average pet owner does not know any better.
Yeah, I had some shots done there on a dog before and I turned down a couple of the vaccines but most people wouldnt realize that probably. I pretty much just use them for rabies and heartworm tests now
Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Ya I don't mind using them for the tests if that will save me some money... but definitely wont let them vaccinate Bamm. I do limited vaccines anyhow and I monitor what he does and does not get pretty heavily.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Ivermectin and other meds in that family are not dangerous to give to a dog that has heartworm. In fact, they are used to treat heartworm in patients where it is better to slowly eliminate the worms instead of all at once. It was some of the older heartworm meds that were dangerous to give if the dog was HW+.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I love my Sancho

I went through the same a couple of months ago. I found it at a local feed store for a bit cheaper. On a side note Bamm is too cute
Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
Ivermectin and other meds in that family are not dangerous to give to a dog that has heartworm. In fact, they are used to treat heartworm in patients where it is better to slowly eliminate the worms instead of all at once. It was some of the older heartworm meds that were dangerous to give if the dog was HW+.
This.

Amber, if I had any of the frontline, I'd give you some, but I'm out of it. All I have are the kitty meds. I'm sorry, hon.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Salty Sea Dog

you can find frontline on ebay, just be VERY aware of the expiration date.
frontline is not perscritpion, your problem is probably comming in with the inteceptor/heart worm prevent.

personally it annoys me that vets feel the need to test the dog EVERY year for heartworm when the dog was tested negative last time and is on yr round preventativs.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
personally it annoys me that vets feel the need to test the dog EVERY year for heartworm when the dog was tested negative last time and is on yr round preventativs.
it's the standard of care put forth by the american heartworm society.

the vets i work for only test every 3-4 years if that if the dog is on meds yearround. but there is always the question of compliance.

the last hw+ dog we had only missed two months. when we tested her six months later, she came up positive and she's been treated twice and is still positive. i live in PA- not exactly a hotbed for heartworm disease- and the dog had not traveled out of the area.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I almost offered to send you a vial of Advantage, but then realized the one for dogs under 10lbs wouldn't work too well.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i understand that if the dog even misses a month it can cause issues...
and i understand not everyone is as honest about whether they have been or not..
but for the likes of us...
we have 6 dogs between me and my parents, heartworm prevent yr round...but all vets in the area insit that in order for us to get more than 6 month supply we HAVE to bring each of the dogs in to the vet, pay for the test for each of them...and they will "be nice" as one vet put it and only charge us 3 office visit fees instead of 6...because the 3 chis will only count as one visit, the 2 cresties as a second and the cocker would be a single visit. *blinks* it would cost us $50 per dog for the test, plus another $150 in office visits...PLUS the cost of the medication, of the 3 vets in town, 2 refuse to write perscriptions for plasces like 1800 pet meds because "its unsafe" and "you cant check the expiration" and "you dont know if your getting the medication or just some look alike"
(and of course the vet charges double what petmeds and the likes charge)

we have to travel 4 towns over for a vet i like...and even they are now being pains about the heart worm tests...
i mean honestly if we order 12 months then 11months later give you a call saying we need a perscription, intime for next month isnt it obvious that were dosing every month?!
but yeah. sry just ranting.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets