Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Top Dog

Default Regular gym-goers, input is requested (re: service dog)

So, I joined Planet Fitness a couple weeks ago. I went to work out today for the first time (since I was sick the whole time before ). I did NOT take Logan because I wasn't entirely sure where to put him while I was working out, and figured I'd be okay without him. I DID take Logan when I signed up in order to judge their reaction to a service dog, and it was a completely positive experience - I was thrilled.

So, today I was on the treadmill for 30 minutes (Day 1 of C25K plus a couple minutes extra cool-down). All was fine, until I was done and stepped off the treadmill and nearly fell on my ass. I have to watch the treadmill display while I run (can't look up at the TVs) because otherwise I can't gauge where on the belt I'm at and will likely slip right off the back or to either side (this is a perception/sensory processing issue). After 30 minutes of that, the whole world looks (and feels) like it's moving, and I have virtually no sense of proprioception. This is where Logan's balance work would come in, but alas, he wasn't with me.

ANYWAY, Id like to know where you think a service dog should be placed in a gym setting. The only places I can see him fitting is behind the machine, in front of the machine, or to the side of the machine IF it's a machine on the end of a row. I don't want to put him behind me because I am likely to slip off at some time, and I don't want to fall on him and hurt him. In front of me could work, but it is technically an aisle - same as beside me. The aisles are wide, but I still worry about blocking aisles.

So, where would you put him? Do you think having a service dog in a gym is even appropriate (it is a private club, so technically they don't have to allow him)? Any other suggestions?

I do go during off-hours whenever possible. I went at 10pm today.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Vizsla mom

I think the end of a row, beside you works the best.

Try adjusting to the treadmill slowly. I get really dizzy if I don't slowly work my way up to running on them. I literally walk for 10 minutes the first I step back on one ..hence my not having used one in about 2yrs. I either just run outside (better workout anyway) or when it's -40, I swim! I know that's not doable for everyone, I just know how much it sucks to feel like the earth is still moving forward when you step off the treadmill!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would totally gun for one at the end of the row and try to get one where he can be on the side/having some space.. If not, in front of the machine would be my best bet IMO (with the added bonus that you can see him while you are running)

I would avoid the back (because yea, you could step on him or fall off the back) and would stick to the front unless there is a lot of space (I know some treadmill sides can be tricky with fur and tails)

I think having him in the gym is fine personally. Especially for things like treadmills and stationary equipment, you are in one place, you can easily keep an eye on and be close to him.

It's not like you are letting him use equipment lol if you need him, he should be there.
It's not like the gym is overly sanitary either just use the same rules you use for sweat and everything else, there should be no sign of you when you leave a machine.

As for suggestions..
- A mat for him? So he knows where to be/where to stay. Plus the floors of gyms can be harsh with cleaners, other peoples sweat, etc.. You want him to also have a clear idea of where he is supposed to be, you don't want a tail or hair getting caught in a machine because he changed positions
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
As for suggestions..
- A mat for him? So he knows where to be/where to stay. Plus the floors of gyms can be harsh with cleaners, other peoples sweat, etc.. You want him to also have a clear idea of where he is supposed to be, you don't want a tail or hair getting caught in a machine because he changed positions
Forgot to say, I do have a mat I got a yoga mat for $8 and cut it in half. I carry one half in my backpack for when he goes to class with me, and I could easily throw the other half in my gym bag.

I'm also not sure how he'll react to the treadmill. I *think* he'll be fine with it because he's fine with everything, but I think I'll take him tomorrow night and just walk on it for a bit and see how it works out. Tomorrow's not a C25K night, so I'll have plenty of time to test it out and everything.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Top Dog

Also, unfortunately running outside is not an option right now (though I definitely do prefer running outside and letting my dog actually run WITH me lol). It's way too cold, and it gets dark way too early. There's nowhere unpaved I can run when it's dark, and I don't want to run on pavement in VFFs.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 PM
SBT Lover!!

I would try to be on the treadmill by the wall and have him next to the machine.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Top Dog

My thought would be to have him on the side on an end treadmill, and if for any reason someone came along and needed more aisle space to get through, direct him to move to the front of the treadmill, but that might be hard for you to do while you're already on a moving treadmill, so I dunno.

I'm not familiar with a gym setting, so I don't know how likely someone needed extra aisle space for say, some kind of cart, would be needed. Worst case they can always go around to the other side.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

I would maybe see if when you go, if it's quiet, if there's a staff member that can give you a hand for the first time, or bring a friend if it's something new for him. He may not 'get' you running on a treadmill if you've never done that before and want to help or something.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

do the handles on the treadmill help at all? I am not very versed in treadmill use but the few times I have used one I have issues with where i am at as well (I cant watch TV either which for me sucks) I really commend people who can watch tv while running on treadmills ... clearly harder thenit looks. But I have found that making sure I have a firm grip on the handles helps, also for the 'dismount' I always stap to the side, so you are straddling the moving belt, after I slow it to a walk pace ... but that in itself is hard because i have to concentrate on which buttons to push to stop the stupid thing LOL

Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Vizsla mom

Holding onto the handles of the treadmill reallllly decreases any benefit you get from the treadmill! Basically, if you're holding onto the rails, you're supporting your upper half on the treadmill& you've just decreased calorie expenditure by 50%.

Start slowly. I run marathons& when I move to a treadmill, I need to walk at a slow pace for about 10 minutes. Then get off. Then I can get back on& jog for 15- 20 minutes. Then I have to be done for the day. Repeat until the dizzy feeling stops. After about 3 times doing this, I'm fine& can run forever on it. But slow is key!

Also, top 10 reasons not to hold on: http://voices.yahoo.com/10-reasons-n...ll-383744.html